Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
What kind of computer do you recommend?
publius2k4 Wrote:It didn't offer the features I need....but then again, I'm an above average end-user. That being said, it is very secure and stable.....and it's linux based Tongue

I agree, Chrome OS doesnt work if you have any very specific applications you need that does not have a web based versions. But for most people, a web browser and a basic office suite is all they need. I have a newer windows desktop in my home office, it rarely ever gets turned on, my chomebook is so quick and easy to fire up. I do supplement some of the stuff I want to do with an android tablet though.
Intro to Computing - 67; Ethics in America - 53; Analyzing & Interpreting Lit - 53; Principles of Management - 58; Lifespan Dev Psyc - 51; Human Resource Management - 46; Info Sys & comp Applications - 61; Principles of Supervision - 47; Human Cultural Geography - 51; Public Speaking - 55; College Mathmatics - 55; College Comp w/essay - 53; Technical Writing - 59;
If you do not need anything fancy, Best Buy or Walmart run specials for general-purpose machines all the time. Given the things you said you'll use it for, virtually any of those should serve the purpose and get you through the day.

We have three desktops in the house (one is hubby's for work, one is kiddo's for school, and one used to be mine but we've turned it into a media center), and three laptops (two are mine, one is hubby's), all of which were purchased on sales at random locations and customized with new video cards or whatever to fit our needs, or straight out of the box for those that we do not need to do anything wacky. The brands range between Dell (one laptop) to Asus (one desktop) to HP (two of our laptops) to ones hubby assembled from random parts.

I have a Dell Venue 11 Pro tablet on order to add to the collection. It's a Microsoft tablet that, with a couple accessories, can function as a desktop when I have serious work to do, or I can disconnect all that, toss it in my purse, and take it on my business trips without an issue. It comes with Office installed whereas most Microsoft tablets have capability to run it but you have to purchase Office separately. Performance- and review-wise, it stacks up against most much higher-price point tablets, and in some cases, exceeds them. I'll set one profile for personal and one profile for work so I can keep all that separate. While I ordered the top-end version of it because I'll run some work programs that are processor hogs, there are two other versions that are very reasonably-priced and offer the same portability freedom.

The only drawback I would put on the Dell Venue 11 is that I ordered that tablet on 12/15 and the website said I would have it by Christmas. As soon as the order was placed, I got a delay notification that I would not have it until 1/6. Then I got another delay saying I wouldn't get it until the 1/16. This morning, I just got another delay that it would not arrive until 1/20 but when I called to chew on them a bit and was told it is scheduled to ship tomorrow for receipt by 1/20. (Really hoping it arrives by Friday since I have a work thing that will have me out of town all next week and was really hoping to have it for the road). Apparently, these are extremely backlogged so if you need it very fast, something else is probably preferred.

I cannot stand Windows 8 on a desktop format, but it's perfect for a tablet design. Definitely keep your OS preferences in mind, as others have suggested, when making your choices.
BSBA, HR / Organizational Mgmt - Thomas Edison State College, December 2012
- TESC Chapter of Sigma Beta Delta International Honor Society for Business, Management and Administration
- Arnold Fletcher Award

AAS, Environmental, Safety, & Security Technologies - Thomas Edison State College, December 2012
AS, Business Administration - Thomas Edison State College, March 2012
Wow! A lot of fantastic advice! I have to be honest and tell you a lint of what you are saying is over my head! But I will be delving deeper into each word and term and link. Thank you so much!
mrs.b Wrote:If you do not need anything fancy, Best Buy or Walmart run specials for general-purpose machines all the time. Given the things you said you'll use it for, virtually any of those should serve the purpose and get you through the day.

I agree with this. I can tell from your posts that for your needs, just buy whatever is on sale at your price point and you will be happy. If you are using PowerPoint already then I assume you already have Office, if not you can just buy Office (some employers have agreements for their employees to purchase it inexpensively, or you can use a student discount) or use a free alternative like OpenOffice.
BA in Natural Sciences/Mathematics, 2013 - TESC - Arnold Fletcher Award
AAS in Applied Computer Studies, 2013 - TESC
116 B&M Credits
32 FEMA Credits
9 ALEKS Credits - Intermediate Algebra, College Algebra, Trigonometry
9 Straighterline Credits - Business Communication, Microeconomics, English Composition II
6 TESC Credits - Global Environmental Change
3 DSST Credits - Environment and Humanity
While I have used a lot of open source software, I haven't delved into the world of open source operating systems. Because I use FL Studio, I have to have Windows. I will be sticking with Windows 7 for awhile. Windows 8 sounds like another Windows Vista that caused so many organizations and individuals to stick with Windows XP for so long. I will never use OpenOffice again. I'm still mad about the time my presentation file corrupted and couldn't be recovered. I haven't tried LibreOffice.

I haven't found a reason to buy a Mac. Apple gets its cheap parts from the same place everyone else does. On top of that, they want to overcharge people for computers put together in sweatshops. I always find a decent computer with similar specs for a few hundred dollars less. You're really just paying more for the Mac OS which isn't targeted as much by malicious software makers because Windows has such a huge share of the market. I have bought a couple of Dell desktops because I like to pick and choose the specs. The only complaint I have about my Samsung laptop is that the speakers aren't loud enough. One thing I've heard about Macs that really bothers me is that Macs aren't friendly to hardware upgrades. You have to take your computer to an Apple technician. I like being able to open up my computer and swap out parts.
Graduate of Not VUL or ENEB
MS, MSS and Graduate Cert
AAS, AS, BA, and BS
CLEP
Intro Psych 70, US His I 64, Intro Soc 63, Intro Edu Psych 70, A&I Lit 64, Bio 68, Prin Man 69, Prin Mar 68
DSST
Life Dev Psych 62, Fund Coun 68, Intro Comp 469, Intro Astr 56, Env & Hum 70, HTYH 456, MIS 451, Prin Sup 453, HRM 62, Bus Eth 458
ALEKS
Int Alg, Coll Alg
TEEX
4 credits
TECEP
Fed Inc Tax, Sci of Nutr, Micro, Strat Man, Med Term, Pub Relations
CSU
Sys Analysis & Design, Programming, Cyber
SL
Intro to Comm, Microbio, Acc I
Uexcel
A&P
Davar
Macro, Intro to Fin, Man Acc
AlbaTiVo Wrote:I agree with this. I can tell from your posts that for your needs, just buy whatever is on sale at your price point and you will be happy. If you are using PowerPoint already then I assume you already have Office, if not you can just buy Office (some employers have agreements for their employees to purchase it inexpensively, or you can use a student discount) or use a free alternative like OpenOffice.

I am a big fan of OpenOffice, it does exactly what Word can do and it's free.
BA in Social Science-TESC
Arnold Fletcher Award

[h=1]“Opportunity is missed by most people because it is dressed in overalls and looks like work.” ~Thomas Edison[/h]
One more thing... Are you sure it's not a bad keyboard? It's sort of rare your computer itself will stop recognizing just one key/letter. That's usually a bad keyboard, which can be replaced a LOT cheaper. Say, $20 or less on sale if you do not need anything specialized.

Unless you just want a new computer to get updated, in which case I stick with the suggestion of just looking at the local store sales and going with something in your price point. Everything on the market right now will run Microsoft Office (or equivalent). Judging by the posts, I'd suggest looking for a Windows 7 machine unless you really want to learn Windows 8 (not fun for desktop) OR if the machine must come with Windows 8, make sure none of the hardware is digitally signed to only work with Windows 8 (an unfortunate new trend) and have it reformatted with Windows 7 installed. Also, most machines off the shelf will have Office Home/Student, which comes with Word, Excel, Powerpoint, and OneNote. That should cover you unless you do your newsletters in Publisher, in which case you'll need the full Office suite.

I've had and used Macs before; your friend is right, they are not hard to learn and I'd argue are more user-friendly than MS machines, but they're also priced such that it tends to be something only people with fairly specific needs would care to pay. They're great for graphics, but it doesn't sound like you need anything like that.
BSBA, HR / Organizational Mgmt - Thomas Edison State College, December 2012
- TESC Chapter of Sigma Beta Delta International Honor Society for Business, Management and Administration
- Arnold Fletcher Award

AAS, Environmental, Safety, & Security Technologies - Thomas Edison State College, December 2012
AS, Business Administration - Thomas Edison State College, March 2012
I've had PCs since around 1989 -- and a few odd-type home machines before that - a Commodore 64 a VIC-20 and two Sinclair ZX-81s among them. Some of the "odd" ones are now in a "computer museum" - in a high school, where my son teaches computer-related subjects.

My first PC was an XT - cost me around $1000 with a 20-meg hard-drive -- and died in less than a year. That was the LAST new one I ever bought. I've had a 286, two 386s, a 486 and a Pentium 1 prior to my present machine. I've never had a used machine that cost more than $100. For the last four years I've had an IBM Pentium 4 desktop, given to me as a present. I know it cost $52.00, off-lease. It had a CD-ROM and I sprung for a DVD combo writer ($37) and some extra RAM (only $20 but hard to find for an already-obsolete machine.) I also bought my first flat-screen monitor, as my 11-year old CRT ended its career in smoke and fizzle at that point.

It has performed flawlessly. As previous posters have said, there are all kinds of alternatives to MS-Office and I've probably used every one of them at some point. I have five drawers of CDs and DVDs it has created, including all manner of freely-available software and hundreds of hours of lectures from Universities. It came with Windows XP, and the installed O/S has never crashed! I prefer XP over Windows 7, which took some features away from the command-line, which I use a lot. I found that using Windows 7 also put an end to use of some of my favorite old Windows programs - some I have been using from Window 3.1 days - programs that still run well on XP - but not on 7.

I have maybe 30 or 40 "Live Linux" distros on CD and they can be fun -- but I've become used to Windows over the years. Although I think Linux is great - I'm used to Windows software. I will not migrate to Windows 8 - I have vowed never to use it. When my venerable desktop dies --as it will, someday -- I will probably buy another used desktop -- which will be my seventh, I think.

I might buy a laptop at some point - I had an IBM that I loved that lasted 13 years. If I do, the laptop will be a secondary machine. I still have a 1988 Sharp laptop -in mint condition but I never use it. Even a retro-guy can't find much to enthuse about with 720K floppies (no hard drive and none can be installed) and a monochrome CGA screen!

I also have an old P-3 (733 MHz) in the closet. It was given to me out of a basement (free) with the intent that I'd use it to disassemble and learn how PCs go together and come apart. But I hooked it up, found to my surprise that it worked and now I want to revive it - maybe a nice case... Smile

Johann
mrs.b Wrote:unless you really want to learn Windows 8 (not fun for desktop)

They must have made Win 8 just for me. I have heard others complain as well, but when i got my new desktop a few months back, I had no issues with it. As soon as I learned how to hit the Windows key on the keyboard to toggle between the desktop and the start screen(and the quick links if you hover to the left), it became very intuitive and natural. For some reason everyone thinks that the "Tile" screen is the new desktop, not just a full screen start menu.
Intro to Computing - 67; Ethics in America - 53; Analyzing & Interpreting Lit - 53; Principles of Management - 58; Lifespan Dev Psyc - 51; Human Resource Management - 46; Info Sys & comp Applications - 61; Principles of Supervision - 47; Human Cultural Geography - 51; Public Speaking - 55; College Mathmatics - 55; College Comp w/essay - 53; Technical Writing - 59;
mrs.b Wrote:One more thing... Are you sure it's not a bad keyboard? It's sort of rare your computer itself will stop recognizing just one key/letter. That's usually a bad keyboard, which can be replaced a LOT cheaper. Say, $20 or less on sale if you do not need anything specialized.
True- for a desktop. But the OP indicated this was a laptop. Yes - it is likely a bad keyboard, as you said. But good luck replacing it! For a laptop, I'd think that's a shop job, not a DIY - and the replacement (if one can be found) will be WAY more than the $20 one would spend on a replacement desktop keyboard.

(A bit later) I did some Googling.

(1) As a shop job it would be up to $100 for labor and around $50 for an entire new laptop keyboard.
(2) I read that you can learn how to do it yourself on the internet and save the labor. Can't vouch for how easy or effective this method is.
(3) Individual keys that have gone "bad" can often be replaced - much cheaper. Sometimes easy and DIY - sometimes not.
(4) You can always hook up a cheap ($20 or less) USB keyboard to the laptop and use it instead.

Or... you could go out and buy yourself another machine.

Johann

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  The complicated, behind the scenes setup for American Pie's computer scene upgrayedd 0 437 11-09-2022, 11:58 PM
Last Post: upgrayedd
  MASTER |OF SCIENCE IN COMPUTER SCIENCE | Liverfool John Moores University akr680 0 799 08-18-2021, 05:37 PM
Last Post: akr680
  Questions re: ethics and computer network retraining SweetSecret 2 1,027 03-27-2020, 09:55 AM
Last Post: SweetSecret
  off topic- computer suggestion cookderosa 9 1,851 08-11-2018, 10:00 PM
Last Post: davewill
  This site now looks like an old school BBS on my computer. ELSADDIQ 6 2,647 08-03-2017, 08:10 PM
Last Post: dfrecore
  Desktop died, not sure what to do about computer Brian12 20 3,177 04-01-2017, 08:50 PM
Last Post: TrailRunr
  Can someone PLEASE help me with this computer specs issue?! soliloquy 10 1,951 01-02-2016, 04:16 PM
Last Post: homebrilliance
  Kind of annoyed that professor won't let semester end. soliloquy 12 1,561 12-20-2015, 10:28 AM
Last Post: cookderosa
  computer use at work, and how many hours do people really work? SuzanneD 17 3,384 06-12-2015, 09:57 AM
Last Post: Prloko
  Built a Fun Computer! OtherSyde 24 3,537 04-16-2013, 08:13 AM
Last Post: cookderosa