Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
What kind of computer do you recommend?
One alternative for a quick fix is to try using a usb keyboard with the laptop. It might extend the life of your current computer until you are sure what you want.
I was no fan of Windows 8 when it was released, but now that I have used it for a while I have no problem with it. The biggest issue people have is the unfamiliar Metro interface. I have seen no stability issues. It doesn't make sense to buy a computer with Win 8 and then pay to replace it with an older OS. The complaints remind me of the issues I dealt with moving from Win 3.11 to Win 95. Users don't like changes to their GUI.
TESC 2015 - BSBA, Computer Information Systems

TESC 2019 - 21 Post-bachelor accounting credits
Johann Wrote:True- for a desktop. But the OP indicated this was a laptop.

Oops! I missed that minor detail...in the very first sentence of the very first post. :eek: I picked up at the historic desktop at home. UptonSinclair to the rescue with a budget-friendly solution, or off to Best Buy or Walmart! Make sure it's got Office Home/Student (not trial version), and anything off the shelf and within the budget will work fine.

I suggested reformatting to install Windows 7 if Windows 8 isn't a desired learning curve. It does not cost all that much, as compared to going the Mac route.

On the Windows 8 debate...fear of bad change is not the same as fear of change itself. I've given Windows 8 a solid try and think it's fantastic for a tablet setup, just not so much for desktop. It's on one of my laptops, but it's coincidentally the same machine I'll be tossing to our "find another use for this" pile to replace with a tablet running the same OS. To each their own, but I think it's telling how much sales dipped after 8 released, how quickly 8.1 released, and how quickly Windows 9 is supposed to try to strike a happier balance between desktop usage and tablet/mobile.
BSBA, HR / Organizational Mgmt - Thomas Edison State College, December 2012
- TESC Chapter of Sigma Beta Delta International Honor Society for Business, Management and Administration
- Arnold Fletcher Award

AAS, Environmental, Safety, & Security Technologies - Thomas Edison State College, December 2012
AS, Business Administration - Thomas Edison State College, March 2012
Johann Wrote:True- for a desktop. But the OP indicated this was a laptop. Yes - it is likely a bad keyboard, as you said. But good luck replacing it! For a laptop, I'd think that's a shop job, not a DIY - and the replacement (if one can be found) will be WAY more than the $20 one would spend on a replacement desktop keyboard.

(A bit later) I did some Googling.

(1) As a shop job it would be up to $100 for labor and around $50 for an entire new laptop keyboard.
(2) I read that you can learn how to do it yourself on the internet and save the labor. Can't vouch for how easy or effective this method is.
(3) Individual keys that have gone "bad" can often be replaced - much cheaper. Sometimes easy and DIY - sometimes not.
(4) You can always hook up a cheap ($20 or less) USB keyboard to the laptop and use it instead.

Or... you could go out and buy yourself another machine.

Johann

I've replaced quite a few laptop keyboards and can say that it is fairly simple. It is usually just a couple tiny screws and takes 10-20 minutes. I've found all of my replacements for less than $20 on ebay. But given that the originator started off by saying that it is an OLD laptop, I am not against replacing the whole thing. I just always have resale value in mind, and replacing the keyboard for cheap will help make some money back to put toward the new laptop.
TESU BSBA in General Management
CCAF AAS in Computer Science Technology

Resources used:  CLEP, DSST,
Penn Foster, Sophia, StraighterLine, TEEX, NFA, ALEKS, The Institutes
if you live near a large city craigslist is still good for computers (and for legal software)
yeah, there's always lots of junk, but search through and you can find some good deals
and you can usually have the person meet you at a starbucks or somewhere so you can try out the laptop before you buy
Thanks all. Wonderful advice. I adopted a cat from a shelter in December on Friday 13. Lucky day for her but not for my laptop! She jumped into my lap while I was using it, one key shot off into space, actually the dark hole of my recliner. I don't miss that key, no idea what it was used for.. however, ever since the p key has not cooperated with my suggestions and now the zero key is showing signs of rebelling. I had no idea a keyboard could be replaced. I am not up to the task but I think I can find someone who is. If it costs too much or takes too long I will have to rethink. You folks are so kind and so savvy. Thank you! I am wondering if learning to operate a mac after so many years with windows would equal the struggle to learn windows 8!
If the keyboard fix does not work out, these are still out there:

Acer Aspire 15.6" Laptop PC with Intel Core i3-2348M Processor, Black/Silver E1-571-6607 - Walmart.com

or

Acer Aspire 15.6" Laptop PC with Intel Celeron 1007U Processor, Black V5-131-2629 - Walmart.com

plus

Find the Microsoft Office Home and Student 2010 Product Key Card at an always low price from Walmart.com. Save money. Live better.

and you're set for what was said to be used on it.

Hope you and your new fuzzy friend get it sorted, either way!
BSBA, HR / Organizational Mgmt - Thomas Edison State College, December 2012
- TESC Chapter of Sigma Beta Delta International Honor Society for Business, Management and Administration
- Arnold Fletcher Award

AAS, Environmental, Safety, & Security Technologies - Thomas Edison State College, December 2012
AS, Business Administration - Thomas Edison State College, March 2012
hicandle Wrote:I am wondering if learning to operate a mac after so many years with windows would equal the struggle to learn windows 8!

Don't buy a Mac.
BA in Natural Sciences/Mathematics, 2013 - TESC - Arnold Fletcher Award
AAS in Applied Computer Studies, 2013 - TESC
116 B&M Credits
32 FEMA Credits
9 ALEKS Credits - Intermediate Algebra, College Algebra, Trigonometry
9 Straighterline Credits - Business Communication, Microeconomics, English Composition II
6 TESC Credits - Global Environmental Change
3 DSST Credits - Environment and Humanity
AlbaTiVo Wrote:Don't buy a Mac.

Why not? What's wrong with mac?
[COLOR="#0000FF"] B.S. - COSC (December, 2013) :hurray:
20-Community College Courses (2004-2006)
80-Semester Hours at Western Governors University (2010-2012)
15-Charter Oak State College (2013)
12-CLEP
3-DSST
6-FEMA
If I can do it, ANYONE can do it![/COLOR]
AlbaTiVo Wrote:Don't buy a Mac.
Buy a Mac! Wink they're so cool Cool
BA History 2014 - TESC

The Lord is my shepherd. Psalm 23

"I'm going on an adventure!' ~AUJ
"It is our fight." ~DoS
"I am not alone." ~BotFA
"All we have to decide is what to do with the time that's given to us." ~FotR
"There is still hope." ~TTT
"Courage..." "This day, we fight!" ~RotK

CLEP: A&I Lit 74 ~ Am Lit 73 ~ Eng Lit 72 ~ Humanities 75 ~ College Math 77 ~ Western Civ I 63 ~ Western Civ II 69 ~ Natural Sci 64 ~ US History I 76 ~ US History II 69 ~ Sociology 68 ~ Am Gov 69 ~ Social Sci & Hist 71 ~ College Comp 61 ~ Marketing 70 ~ Management 66 ~ Psychology 67

DSST: Supervision 453 ~ Tech Writing 61 ~ Computing 427 ~ Middle East 65 ~ Soviet Union 65 ~ Vietnam War 74 ~[COLOR="#0099cc"] Civil War 68

[/COLOR]Other: College+ Biblical Social Justice B ~ ECE World Conflicts Since 1900 A

TESC courses: Capstone A ~ Leaders in History A ~ Photography 101 A- ~ Games People Play A ~ International Relations A- ~ Mass Communications I A

$5 off IC - 59690
My hair jewelry business

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  The complicated, behind the scenes setup for American Pie's computer scene upgrayedd 0 437 11-09-2022, 11:58 PM
Last Post: upgrayedd
  MASTER |OF SCIENCE IN COMPUTER SCIENCE | Liverfool John Moores University akr680 0 799 08-18-2021, 05:37 PM
Last Post: akr680
  Questions re: ethics and computer network retraining SweetSecret 2 1,026 03-27-2020, 09:55 AM
Last Post: SweetSecret
  off topic- computer suggestion cookderosa 9 1,850 08-11-2018, 10:00 PM
Last Post: davewill
  This site now looks like an old school BBS on my computer. ELSADDIQ 6 2,646 08-03-2017, 08:10 PM
Last Post: dfrecore
  Desktop died, not sure what to do about computer Brian12 20 3,174 04-01-2017, 08:50 PM
Last Post: TrailRunr
  Can someone PLEASE help me with this computer specs issue?! soliloquy 10 1,949 01-02-2016, 04:16 PM
Last Post: homebrilliance
  Kind of annoyed that professor won't let semester end. soliloquy 12 1,561 12-20-2015, 10:28 AM
Last Post: cookderosa
  computer use at work, and how many hours do people really work? SuzanneD 17 3,382 06-12-2015, 09:57 AM
Last Post: Prloko
  Built a Fun Computer! OtherSyde 24 3,533 04-16-2013, 08:13 AM
Last Post: cookderosa