Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Will CLEP English Composition Transfer to WGU for English Comp I & II?
I'm planning to enroll in the School of Business (BSBAIT) and I'm looking to transfer in my two English Comp classes with as little writing as possible. I'm thinking the  CLEP English Composition exam will be my best option, but I haven't found any info as to how that will transfer to WGU. Since it has an ACE recommendation of 6 credits, will it transfer in for both English Comp I & II?

I found the following post from 2017 where someone was expecting the CLEP exam to cover both, but they had not received an official evaluation:
Quote:I haven’t gotten my official transcript evaluation yet but according to my own spreadsheet, I’m starting off with the following:

- (20 credits) Transferred from community college & GGU: Psychology, intermediate algebra, sciences (2), intro humanities, critical thinking
- (22 credits) Transferred through CLEP/DSST exams: Principles of Mgmt, College Mathematics, Intro HR Mgmt, College Composition (6 credits applies to BOTH English requirements at WGU), Principles of Marketing, Business Ethics
- (31 credits) Transferred through StraighterLine: Intro to Business, Business Law, Organizational Behavior, Accounting I & II, Business Communication, Business Statistics, Macroeconomics, Microeconomics, American Government

73 credits completed, 46 remaining to complete at WGU
Source: https://www.degreeforum.net/mybb/Thread-...SST-SL-WGU

Strangely, there's also no info listed on the CLEP website about WGU's policy - everything is blank.
https://clep.collegeboard.org/college-cr...university
Someone else posted:
"They're super weird about CLEPs/DSSTs. They refuse to keep a list and consider on a case by case basis."

If I were to bet, I would lay down 10 to 1 odds that yes, they will accept the CLEP English Composition, but it could be only English Comp I or II leaving you with one class to do. So given the hell, you would have to go through doing English Comp at Sophia/Study.com, I would take the remaining English Comp at WGU.

Having said that, they might accept CLEP English Comp for Business school and not for IT school or vice versa.  And maybe you get lucky, and they accept it for you and not someone else.

This brings up another topic. This thread created a lot of confusion about what Sophia credits are accepted and what's not at WGU. (not blaming you btw)
https://www.degreeforum.net/mybb/Thread-...org-to-WGU

Foundational courses are accepted according to the WGU Transfer list for IT school but not Business school. WGU accepts visual Communications.

This makes the Sophia Equivalency List on Wiki not accurate: (Maybe change some to both Yes/No)
https://degreeforum.miraheze.org/wiki/So...lency_List
Degrees: BA Computer Science, BS Business Administration with a concentration in CIS, AS Natural Science & Math, TESU. 4.0 GPA 2022.
Course Experience:  CLEP, Instantcert, Sophia.org, Study.com, Straighterline.com, Onlinedegree.org, Saylor.org, Csmlearn.com, and TEL Learning.
Certifications: W3Schools PHP, Google IT Support, Google Digital Marketing, Google Project Management
(10-21-2021, 01:41 PM)LevelUP Wrote: Someone else posted:
"They're super weird about CLEPs/DSSTs. They refuse to keep a list and consider on a case by case basis."

If I were to bet, I would lay down 10 to 1 odds that yes, they will accept the CLEP English Composition, but it could be only English Comp I or II leaving you with one class to do. So given the hell, you would have to go through doing English Comp at Sophia/Study.com, I would take the remaining English Comp at WGU.

Having said that, they might accept CLEP English Comp for Business school and not for IT school or vice versa.  And maybe you get lucky, and they accept it for you and not someone else.

This brings up another topic. This thread created a lot of confusion about what Sophia credits are accepted and what's not at WGU. (not blaming you btw)
https://www.degreeforum.net/mybb/Thread-...org-to-WGU

Foundational courses are accepted according to the WGU Transfer list for IT school but not Business school. WGU accepts visual Communications.

This makes the Sophia Equivalency List on Wiki not accurate: (Maybe change some to both Yes/No)
https://degreeforum.miraheze.org/wiki/So...lency_List

True, they seem strangely cagey about that info. I suspect you're right too, that the CLEP exam will count for at least one English course. Though, I'd be surprised if there's a case-by-case evaluation as that could leave them open to allegations of discrimination; the same rules should apply to everyone.

Regardless, I was hoping someone might be able to post the results of an official - and hopefully recent - transcript evaluation since that seems like the best non-speculative answer available in lieu of any official info from WGU.

I recently started the English Comp I with Sophia, so I figure I'll at least have that class covered in the event the CLEP exam only counts for one of WGU's English classes (hoping it would count for Comp II in that case).
(10-21-2021, 03:32 PM)BitWiseGuy Wrote: True, they seem strangely cagey about that info. I suspect you're right too, that the CLEP exam will count for at least one English course. Though, I'd be surprised if there's a case-by-case evaluation as that could leave them open to allegations of discrimination; the same rules should apply to everyone.

Regardless, I was hoping someone might be able to post the results of an official - and hopefully recent - transcript evaluation since that seems like the best non-speculative answer available in lieu of any official info from WGU.

I recently started the English Comp I with Sophia, so I figure I'll at least have that class covered in the event the CLEP exam only counts for one of WGU's English classes (hoping it would count for Comp II in that case).

I did some quick searches for you.

"I took the College Composition CLEP myself and I'm really glad I did, I've heard there's tons of writing in both the Straighterline and WGU versions of the courses. It did indeed satisfy both English requirements for me at WGU."

"Comp II is essentially one paper. The first annotated bibliography task is what you would likely do to research for your paper anyway. You can copy/paste APA citations from the library. If you are a confident and motivated writer, you could be done in no more than a week. Honestly, the hardest part for me was deciding on a topic."
https://www.reddit.com/r/WGU/comments/7e...i_dilemma/

There is no guarantee the CLEP will transfer for both English Comps but odds are with you, that's for sure.  Worst case scenario, you do 1 English Comp course @ WGU which should be faster than slogging it out with Sophia or Study.com.

BTW, I recommend Peterson Master the CLEP 12th edition, a great quick guide that I used to pass the English Comp CLEP.
Degrees: BA Computer Science, BS Business Administration with a concentration in CIS, AS Natural Science & Math, TESU. 4.0 GPA 2022.
Course Experience:  CLEP, Instantcert, Sophia.org, Study.com, Straighterline.com, Onlinedegree.org, Saylor.org, Csmlearn.com, and TEL Learning.
Certifications: W3Schools PHP, Google IT Support, Google Digital Marketing, Google Project Management
I did english comp 2(ENG 105) with study and it transferred into my program at WGU(BSIT). It wasn't hard, just 3 short papers, and I'd already had enough points to pass after 1 paper so I didn't have to try too hard on the other 2.
WGU BSIT Complete January 2022
(77CU transferred in)(44/44CU ) 

RA(non WGU)(57cr)
JST/TESU Eval of NAVY Training(85/99cr)
The Institutes, TEEX, NFA(9cr): Ethics, Cyber 101/201/301, Safety
Sophia(60cr): 23 classes
Study.com(31cr): Eng105, Fin102, His108, LibSci101, Math104, Stat101, CS107, CS303, BUS107
CLEP(9cr): Intro Sociology 63 Intro Psych 61 US GOV 71
OD(12cr): Robotics, Cyber, Programming, Microecon
CSM(3cr)
Various IT/Cybersecurity Certifications from: CompTIA, Google, Microsoft, AWS, GIAC, LPI, IBM
CS Fund. MicroBachelor(3cr)
They accepted my College Composition CLEP as Eng Comp I&II.
Up next:  WGU MSCSIA - Early 2023
Dropped:  WGU MSITM - Wasn't my cup of tea
Completed:  WGU BSCSIA (started 10/1/2018, finished 01/11/2019), Pierpont BOG AAS (5/2018)
Journey Thread (MSITM): https://www.degreeforum.net/mybb/Thread-...TM-Journey
Journey Thread (BS):  https://www.degreeforum.net/mybb/Thread-...ersecurity
Degree Spreadsheet (BS):  https://www.degreeforum.net/mybb/attachm...p?aid=2602

Sounds like there's a decent chance the CLEP exam will count for both English Comp I & II at the College of Business. Although, I suppose the best option is to take the CLEP exam, ask WGU to evaluate it, and then see whether I need to take any additional courses before starting my term.

Thanks for all the replies!  Smile
They used to have CLEP exam equivalencies listed, and the College Comp w/Essay was definitely one that would work. Not sure why they removed the CLEP stuff, but I think you'll be fine.
TESU BSBA/HR 2018 - WVNCC BOG AAS 2017 - GGU Cert in Mgmt 2000
EXAMS: TECEP Tech Wrtg, Comp II, LA Math, PR, Computers  DSST Computers, Pers Fin  CLEP Mgmt, Mktg
COURSES: TESU Capstone  Study.com Pers Fin, Microecon, Stats  Ed4Credit Acct 2  PF Fin Mgmt  ALEKS Int & Coll Alg  Sophia Proj Mgmt The Institutes - Ins Ethics  Kaplan PLA

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  Question regarding transfer credit courses jobojoe285 6 309 03-28-2024, 12:35 AM
Last Post: jobojoe285
  New transfer credit for Master degree - WGU Imbanewbie 16 2,237 01-20-2024, 04:24 AM
Last Post: bjcheung77
  Expired CompTIA Certs for Transfer siersema 4 653 01-15-2024, 04:50 PM
Last Post: raekwon
  Computer Science 305: Operating Systems Transfer to WGU alesalsa10 4 730 10-19-2023, 02:20 PM
Last Post: alesalsa10
  How do I know what classes I have completed and can transfer? tazz 17 2,960 10-06-2023, 05:02 PM
Last Post: tazz
  CLEP and CompTIA credits for BS in CS students? nomaduser 4 576 10-03-2023, 04:02 PM
Last Post: LevelUP
  How do transfer (sophia.org/ACE) credits look on a WGU transcript for grad school? dan087 4 1,046 09-25-2023, 05:01 AM
Last Post: dan087
  Sophia's Visual Communcation and Introduction to Information Technology WGU Transfer? OP88 4 1,626 05-16-2023, 05:55 PM
Last Post: LevelUP
  UoPeople to WGU Transfer EDUxplorer 9 2,340 01-09-2023, 10:43 AM
Last Post: dfrecore
  ASU UL classes transfer to WGU sprout18 10 1,645 09-02-2022, 02:28 AM
Last Post: bjcheung77