Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Initial Questions About BA History (T
(08-17-2019, 03:47 PM)natshar Wrote:
(08-17-2019, 02:13 PM)historicalarsonist Wrote:
(08-17-2019, 12:14 PM)natshar Wrote: Even though bio 1 lab isn't required I'm not sure if you would be able to take the bio II lab with taking bio I lab first (or at least bio I). This could also be a problem as most schools have pre res and won't just let you take to bio II.

Also for computer science 10 of the 16 credits can be done for free via TEEX. So I would at least try the TEEX courses and see what you think because they won't cost you anything. Computer science is a cheaper option to pursue than biology.

Yeah, considering the difficulties with obtaining the bio II lab, I am definitely considering going the computer science route as a compromise despite not being overly excited about it. Also, how do I locate the courses specifically that transfer to TESU on the TEEX website? I followed a link on the wiki that is now dead and can't seem to find anything that links to a source other than the TEEX home page, and their site seems absolutely massive. Thanks.

Onlinedegree.com has intro to programming and that is only $9. Anything that counts as computer science for the computer science BA would count so a lot study.com programming courses. StraighterLine has a course in C++. Maybe for one of your courses for TESU could be a computer science course. I also believe the CyberSecrutiy DSST might count and there is a Network Security TECEP. I'm also not 100% all ten TEEX credits would count for computer science AOS, I'm just assuming they do, I know other people have gotten them all to count but that was when they were all only worth 6 credits. Once you have an idea of what courses you want to take I'd email TESU the plan for whatever you choose to take and get those pre-approved.

If I were you just focus on the BA history and ASNSM in math for now, so those are already mapped out. Thats enough to get started if you don't end up doing the computer science associate no big deal. You already have History mapped out. For the math associates, all you need is 12 credits in any other math courses in anything you want besides calculus and college algebra.

From personal experience, coming up with the perfect degree plan is not the same as actually working on your degree. Just get started and the rest will fall into place over time.

Yeah, that sounds like a great approach. I haven't mapped out really anything yet besides the history area of study - I just kind of have a running list of classes I know I want to take and that I will be able to fit in somewhere. My approach is more of "figure out how to fit a degree on top of these interests," rather than figuring out the classes to pursue a specific degree. Sounds like the math ASNSM is just about a given considering the classes I planned on taking anyways, and the comp sci one is something I can decide on down the line.
[-] The following 1 user Likes historicalarsonist's post:
  • natshar
If you need to figure out how to plan gen eds: https://www.tesu.edu/academics/courses/2019-and-after

Just find courses that match courses that fit the ones on the list.
[-] The following 1 user Likes natshar's post:
  • historicalarsonist
Hey guys, I just had a quick question regarding the whole ASNSM vs. BA process. I know you can be awarded both at the same time, but what if someone were to take the route of ASNSM (Math or Comp Sci) and then into BA after being awarded the associate degree. I know it would cost more, but how much more in total, assuming you use all of the credits from the ASNSM towards the BA? As far as I can tell, for an ASNSM, one would only need to complete SOS-110 at TESU - not sure how much this costs alone though. Would you also then need to pay the residency waiver fee to get the ASNSM with only 3 credits from TESU, or does that 16 credit req only apply to a bachelor? Graduation fees?

Long story short, part of the reason I am working towards the degree is a "guaranteed increase in salary" program for checking the box. I just found out today they are implementing a bonus for achieving an associate-level degree as well, which I have just calculated to be approximately 59% of the salary increase for receiving a bachelor's. This could potentially change everything because although it makes sense to get the Bachelor's ASAP (since it will generate me more money in the long run with a bigger upside), I now want to calculate if there is any merit to simply getting the ASNSM "issued" ASAP, and then working towards the Bachelor, so that I can start getting paid more while working towards the BA in history. This is mainly due to the fact that I know I can complete the ASNSM computer science in probably about 25% of the time it will take me to complete the entire BA. It seems like a real possibility that I could get the degree subsidized by first getting an ASNSM and getting paid additional money while I work on the BA, but it's going to depend a lot on things like whether or not I would need to pay the residency waiver.
You'd have to pay the residency waiver to get the ASNSM. However, if you finish the BA within a year of paying the waiver you don't have to pay it again for the BA even if you do less than 16 credits from TESU. I think you'd pay the graduation fee twice, though (~$300). I think those would be the only cost differences.
Completed:
BA History & Psychology, Thomas Edison State University, March 2020
ASNSM Mathematics, Thomas Edison State University, March 2020

Up Next:
JD, Cornell Law School, Class of 2024

Link to all credits earned: Link
[-] The following 1 user Likes mysonx3's post:
  • historicalarsonist
(08-19-2019, 05:54 PM)mysonx3 Wrote: You'd have to pay the residency waiver to get the ASNSM. However, if you finish the BA within a year of paying the waiver you don't have to pay it again for the BA even if you do less than 16 credits from TESU. I think you'd pay the graduation fee twice, though (~$300). I think those would be the only cost differences.

So out of pocket for the ASNSM, we are talking: $2800 residency waiver fee, $300 graduation, and then the cost to take the SOS-110 class. I can't seem to find an official answer, but I have seen someone mention it costing $1400? I'm assuming that's the total cost to take this single class, and not on top of some other tuition charge, but I'm not entirely sure. As per usual, the TESU website seems to be completely unhelpful.

If by some miracle I've actually stumbled across the right number, ~$4,500 all-included out of pocket for the BA, then it would make things interesting considering I would not need to pay the residency waiver fee at TESU if I get the BA within a year.
You would not have to remember take SOS-110 again to for your BA. And then that does change the plans for your BA a bit because you won't have to take 13 more credits at TESU. You'd only have to take the capstone.

TESU only grants degrees for times a year: December, March, June and September.

You'd have to time everything right.
  • historicalarsonist
(08-20-2019, 08:51 AM)natshar Wrote: You would not have to remember take SOS-110 again to for your BA. And then that does change the plans for your BA a bit because you won't have to take 13 more credits at TESU. You'd only have to take the capstone.

TESU only grants degrees for times a year: December, March, June and September.

You'd have to time everything right.

Thanks for clearing that up.

Also, what goes into receiving an 'official transcript' from TESU? Could someone hypothetically enroll and transfer their credits to TESU and receive an 'official transcript' stating they have 60 credits despite no actual degree yet? Sorry, I'm woefully ignorant of these higher education concepts. If I am correctly interpreting the language I was given, it appears this may be an option as well, which could mean I can follow the original plan of working towards a BA but start receiving benefits as soon as I can produce an 'official transcript' showing 60 credits.

In other words, could I transfer 60 credits to TESU and receive an 'official transcript' consisting of 60 credits prior to actually taking any courses at TESU or graduating with any degree?
I am not sure what you are asking.

If you want to get the fastest possible associates here's what I would do.

-If you are enrolled in a TESU course that begins in September, October or November you would be eligible for March Graduation. This is earliest you could graduate because it is too late for December graduation.
-Apply to TESU as soon as possible
-Do all the easy free and cheap credits you can before and during the time you are taking sos-110.
-You would need to make sure all your courses besides SOS-110 are submitted to TESU by January 1st.
-Apply for graduation and graduate with an associates in math (or computer science or both) in March 2020.

You would then have until around March 2021 to earn your bachelors or else you will have to pay the wavier again or take 16 credits at TESU.
  • TwinMom
(08-20-2019, 02:28 PM)natshar Wrote: I am not sure what you are asking.

-If you are enrolled in a TESU course that begins in September, October or November you would be eligible for March Graduation. This is earliest you could graduate because it is too late for December graduation.
-Do all the easy free and cheap credits you can before and during the time you are taking sos-110.
-You would need to make sure all your courses besides SOS-110 are submitted to TESU by January 1st.
-Apply for graduation and graduate with an associates in math (or computer science or both) in March 2020.

You would then have until around March 2021 to earn your bachelors or else you will have to pay the wavier again or take 16 credits at TESU.

I guess what I'm asking is: what does the terminology 'official transcript' mean? Is an official transcript only something you can get when graduating? Or can you receive an 'official transcript' saying you have X number of credits despite never taking a class at that school.
(08-20-2019, 04:07 PM)historicalarsonist Wrote:
(08-20-2019, 02:28 PM)natshar Wrote: I am not sure what you are asking.

I guess what I'm asking is: what does the terminology 'official transcript' mean? Is an official transcript only something you can get when graduating? Or can you receive an 'official transcript' saying you have X number of credits despite never taking a class at that school.

You would for sure need to take a course at TESU to be considered enrolled. So you wouldn't be able to even have an official transcript unless you take a course or TECEP.

If you want to go this route, the cheapest and quickest you could just take a TECEP and then pay the $15 for a transcript fee to send the transcript to your employer. And for course you'd have to pay the application fee. But at that rate, if you already have 60 credits and you have to take SOS-110 anyways why not just get the associates degree or at least try to.

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  Transfer to TESU Questions homeschoolmom1 14 819 02-20-2024, 06:18 PM
Last Post: jg_nuy
Lightbulb TESU - Course Transfer Questions mweichert 12 1,028 02-15-2024, 03:02 PM
Last Post: LevelUP
  Troubles with Sophia Transfer (Science & History) poisonedapple 5 620 12-27-2023, 11:34 AM
Last Post: poisonedapple
  French international student questions about TESU BACS azuki 19 1,870 11-03-2023, 10:25 AM
Last Post: bjcheung77
  International students would like to ask some questions. Ron9 4 774 11-02-2023, 11:25 AM
  Study.com Transfer to TESU Questions Carnation 14 1,634 11-01-2023, 04:50 PM
Last Post: Pats20
  few questions about TESU sekiflying 3 435 08-20-2023, 11:13 AM
  BALS Concentration/GE Questions PLEX 3 429 06-30-2023, 11:25 AM
  Two questions regarding to 1. TESU second degree and 2. bachelor to master program lylx1981 5 1,601 05-17-2023, 10:50 AM
Last Post: Henry_Patterson
  Testing out of History & Civics and Ethical Leadership requirements? WHOASIS1 6 797 03-31-2023, 09:36 PM
Last Post: dfrecore