Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Ph.D. in Visionary Practice and Regenerative Leadership
If you like the spiritual bents of the programs and schools discussed in this thread, you might also look at the National University MA in Consciousness and Transformative Studies (originally housed at JFK University), Saybrook University, Goddard College, Naropa University, Pacifica Graduate Institute, California Institute for Human Science, Meridian University, and Maryland University of Integrative Health (all RA), and Atlantic University [Virginia Beach] (NA DEAC).
[-] The following 2 users Like Jonathan Whatley's post:
  • Library2HospitalChaplain, ss20ts
(08-03-2022, 02:31 AM)ashkir Wrote: So here's a surprising one I didn't see coming, but, I'm sure there will be some interest in it. Ph.D. in Visionary Practice and Regenerative Leadership. Accredited by Higher Learning Commission, previously regional (there's no such thing as regional "legally" anymore). 

This is the first accredited "spiritual" university I've seen, that seems to draw a lot from the mythic arts and the local artist community of Santa Fe. 

https://www.swc.edu/visionary-practice-a...rship-phd/

Almost all online. 3 residencies, 6 days, 4 days, and 4 days. All residencies in Santa Fe, New Mexico. 

Total cost $45,750

I live in ABQ, and I have a sense that due to the high Native-American influence here, this PhD program is very much steeped in Mysticism, Spirituality, Metaphysics and Secular Religious/ Humanistic dogma. I mean hey, if someone likes it and they get a good enrollment cohort group, then go for it. My only concern would be ROI for $45,000+ and usage after graduation. Would anyone want to utilize a person who holds a PhD in Visionary Practice and Regenerative Leadership? And would someone want Leadership based on quasi-spiritual/metaphysical approaches/solutions, rather than peer-reviewed, tested and proven, research-based competencies?
Completed

Doctor of Healthcare Administration, Virginia University of Lynchburg, 2023
MBA, Universidad Isabel I / ENEB, 2022
Master in Business & Corporate Communication, Universidad Isabel I / ENEB, 2022
DiMAP, Diploma in Modern Applied Psychology, Academy of Modern Applied Psychology

In Progress

Master of Arts in Church Leadership, Regent University - School of Divinity
Master's in Project Management, Universidad Isabel I / ENEB 
Master's in Human Resources Management, Universidad Isabel I / ENEB
Master's in Big Data & Business Intelligence, Universidad Isabel I / ENEB
Master's in International Trade, Universidad Isabel I / ENEB
Bachelor of Arts in Liberal Studies, TESU or Excelsior University 

(08-05-2022, 03:12 PM)michaeladsmith2 Wrote: I live in ABQ, and I have a sense that due to the high Native-American influence here, this PhD program is very much steeped in Mysticism, Spirituality, Metaphysics and Secular Religious/ Humanistic dogma. I mean hey, if someone likes it and they get a good enrollment cohort group, then go for it. My only concern would be ROI for $45,000+ and usage after graduation. Would anyone want to utilize a person who holds a PhD in Visionary Practice and Regenerative Leadership? And would someone want Leadership based on quasi-spiritual/metaphysical approaches/solutions, rather than peer-reviewed, tested and proven, research-based competencies?

Some may say the same about American International Theism University. Everyone doesn't subscribe to a religion. You go on about peer reviewed, tested and proven blah blah yet you have multiple "degrees" from ENEB and you're working on a doctorate from school that has some very suspicious accreditation. Southwestern College is at least an RA institution.  
American International Theism University operates under a religious exemption from State of Florida licensing. One requirement of this religious exemption is that an exempted school must only offer degrees with a religious modifier in the title. American International Theism University appears to offer a degree not titled "Doctor of Education," but rather titled "Ethereal Doctor of Education."
[-] The following 1 user Likes Jonathan Whatley's post:
  • ss20ts
Degree programs in Consciousness Studies are not rare and they exist inside a little bunch of niche schools like CIIS, Saybrook, etc.  There are online programs at National and JFKU.  Many people use the Masters programs as stepping stones to PhD programs in similar areas.  There's a way to spin it towards Theology/Spirituality and there's a way to spin it toward Psychology/Counseling.  It's an interesting subject area that doesn't always have a nice straight trajectory toward a substantial income.

And now that I've scrolled back to actually read some other posts, I see that Jonathan already provided all the info that I provided.  As he also indicated, at a certain point you spin off into schools that claim religious exemption from accreditation.  Then you have schools like IUPS that are unaccredited, have no religious exemption, and regardless of one's opinion re their academic rigor, they have questionable value re employment.
IUPS | Online Distance Learning University | United States | International
(08-05-2022, 03:12 PM)michaeladsmith2 Wrote:
(08-03-2022, 02:31 AM)ashkir Wrote: So here's a surprising one I didn't see coming, but, I'm sure there will be some interest in it. Ph.D. in Visionary Practice and Regenerative Leadership. Accredited by Higher Learning Commission, previously regional (there's no such thing as regional "legally" anymore). 

This is the first accredited "spiritual" university I've seen, that seems to draw a lot from the mythic arts and the local artist community of Santa Fe. 

https://www.swc.edu/visionary-practice-a...rship-phd/

Almost all online. 3 residencies, 6 days, 4 days, and 4 days. All residencies in Santa Fe, New Mexico. 

Total cost $45,750

I live in ABQ, and I have a sense that due to the high Native-American influence here, this PhD program is very much steeped in Mysticism, Spirituality, Metaphysics and Secular Religious/ Humanistic dogma. I mean hey, if someone likes it and they get a good enrollment cohort group, then go for it. My only concern would be ROI for $45,000+ and usage after graduation. Would anyone want to utilize a person who holds a PhD in Visionary Practice and Regenerative Leadership? And would someone want Leadership based on quasi-spiritual/metaphysical approaches/solutions, rather than peer-reviewed, tested and proven, research-based competencies?

I agree. Santa Fe has a huge art culture, "hippie culture" for lack of a better word, and native culture. I lived for several years in New Mexico. The culture of that state is incredible. I do miss it considerably, part of me still yearns for New Mexico. I grew up in San Juan county, in a country house in the red cliffs near Bloomfield/Farmington by the valley between Shiprock and Aztec

I disagree. While the Department of Education dropped that distinction, it is still used by CHEA. 

In the US, higher education is largely self-regulating. The states, to varying degrees of efficacy, license schools to operate. Other than that, schools self-regulate through accrediting agencies. These agencies are, in turn, grouped under an organization now known as the Council on Higher Education Accreditation (CHEA). 

The role the federal government plays is that they're required by law to maintain a list of accrediting agencies whose accredited schools can participate in Title IV funding (student financial aid). For whatever reason, the Department decided to drop the distinction between regional and national accreditation, referring to it as "institutional accreditation" (to distinguish it from programmatic accreditation). However, since this has no bearing on the Department's student aid mission, and the Department has no other role in higher education, and because CHEA still distinguishes between regional accreditors and others, it is a distinction without a difference. And it certainly is NOT a "legal" matter since, again, higher education is self regulating. It's CHEA's call to make.

(08-03-2022, 10:48 AM)ss20ts Wrote:
Quote:I'm really trying to avoid residencies.

Consider not doing that. Residencies are incredibly valuable experiences. They immerse you in the doctoral process--one so utterly different from degrees at lower levels. They allow you to focus on your studies. They allow you to meet and get to know your peers and instructors/advisors. They give depth to the learning process. And they connect you to the university in qualitative ways.
Quote:Some schools have crazy residency requirements.

Not crazy. Short-residency doctoral programs were incredibly rare until the popularization and availability of the World Wide Web in the late 1990s. Nonresidential doctoral programs are even newer than that, popping up with any real frequency fewer than two decades ago.
Quote:What adult can spend 8 weeks every summer away from their family and work?

And yet, people attend these programs. 

Just another perspective.

(08-04-2022, 02:07 PM) pid=\373600' Wrote:And in addition to CIIS, there's also Sophia University, which has a lot of spiritual stuff in their curriculum, and Maharishi University (located in Iowa) which is an institutionally (regionally) accredited school that has a *very* unusual curriculum deeply rooted in spirituality.
And Saybrook.
Once upon a time it was rare to find an RA school that would accept credits from an NA school.  There was a time when an NA Masters degree or Doctoral degree would not get you a teaching job at an RA school.  It might not have gotten you a job at an NA school for that matter.  An NA degree might not get you into an RA grad program.  Certain employers might direct your resume into the circular file.  I think some of these differences remain although not to the extent they once did.  They are all "institutionally accredited" now but it would be naive to think that there are no longer any differences, even if they are only prejudices.  I imagine that time will close the rift.
Quote: I imagine that time will close the rift.

When CHEA eliminates the distinction and pushes RA schools (and the RAs themselves) to eliminate the distinction, then I'll listen.
(08-07-2022, 07:57 PM)Sagan Wrote:

Consider not doing that. Residencies are incredibly valuable experiences. They immerse you in the doctoral process--one so utterly different from degrees at lower levels. They allow you to focus on your studies. They allow you to meet and get to know your peers and instructors/advisors. They give depth to the learning process. And they connect you to the university in qualitative ways.

Not crazy. Short-residency doctoral programs were incredibly rare until the popularization and availability of the World Wide Web in the late 1990s. Nonresidential doctoral programs are even newer than that, popping up with any real frequency fewer than two decades ago.
Quote:What adult can spend 8 weeks every summer away from their family and work?

And yet, people attend these programs. 

Just another perspective.

(08-04-2022, 02:07 PM)pid=\373600 Wrote:And in addition to CIIS, there's also Sophia University, which has a lot of spiritual stuff in their curriculum, and Maharishi University (located in Iowa) which is an institutionally (regionally) accredited school that has a *very* unusual curriculum deeply rooted in spirituality.
And Saybrook.

(08-07-2022, 07:57 PM)Sagan Wrote:

I disagree. While the Department of Education dropped that distinction, it is still used by CHEA. 

In the US, higher education is largely self-regulating. The states, to varying degrees of efficacy, license schools to operate. Other than that, schools self-regulate through accrediting agencies. These agencies are, in turn, grouped under an organization now known as the Council on Higher Education Accreditation (CHEA). 

The role the federal government plays is that they're required by law to maintain a list of accrediting agencies whose accredited schools can participate in Title IV funding (student financial aid). For whatever reason, the Department decided to drop the distinction between regional and national accreditation, referring to it as "institutional accreditation" (to distinguish it from programmatic accreditation). However, since this has no bearing on the Department's student aid mission, and the Department has no other role in higher education, and because CHEA still distinguishes between regional accreditors and others, it is a distinction without a difference. And it certainly is NOT a "legal" matter since, again, higher education is self regulating. It's CHEA's call to make.

I will not change my mind. Please do not act like you know what's best for people on here. You don't know us. I am not able to travel as I am disabled and need assistance. So no an in person residency is not for me. 

It's great that there are some people who can give up their family and jobs for 8 weeks in the summer multiple years in a row. I suspect few people can do that. 

I have completed multiple degrees at multiple colleges and universities without knowing my classmates. I've done just fine. As an introvert, I'm cool with not having to mingle with people I don't know.

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  Purdue Global (PUG) EdD in Leadership and Innovation walruspanda 20 1,497 4 hours ago
Last Post: walruspanda
  Central Arkansas Leadership PhD, $20.5k freeloader 5 1,206 03-26-2024, 04:10 PM
Last Post: bjcheung77
  UCA Ph.D. Change Leadership Update + Facts mohelena02 2 544 11-05-2023, 01:06 PM
Last Post: mohelena02
  Doctor of Professional Practice (can possibly use free graduate certificate) sanantone 4 1,117 01-20-2023, 01:07 PM
Last Post: newdegree
  Doctor of Strategic Leadership - Multiple Capstone Options sanantone 5 1,459 07-15-2022, 02:11 PM
Last Post: ss20ts
  Competency-Based Leadership Doctorates and MA at Andrews University sanantone 2 1,704 09-19-2021, 03:16 AM
Last Post: Toastmaster
  UMass EdD in Organizational Leadership ashkir 10 1,933 08-31-2021, 09:47 PM
  NCAT PhD in Leadership ashkir 8 1,576 08-24-2021, 03:44 PM
Last Post: ashkir
  DBA or PH.D in Educational Leadership for more opportunities lucianovalente 8 1,816 05-22-2020, 04:30 PM