Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Programming Class
I've asked before, but can't find the thread so can someone tell me a cheap and quick way to knock out the Programming requirement for the TESU CIS degree. I could and probably should take the class with them to help with residency requirements but this is one of those I'd rather just knock it out quickly type classes. While I have no prior programming knowledge I'd like to avoid SL so anything else that anyone knows of?
tsimmns Wrote:I've asked before, but can't find the thread so can someone tell me a cheap and quick way to knock out the Programming requirement for the TESU CIS degree. I could and probably should take the class with them to help with residency requirements but this is one of those I'd rather just knock it out quickly type classes. While I have no prior programming knowledge I'd like to avoid SL so anything else that anyone knows of?

StraighterLine seems to be the cheapest and quickest way (doesn't require prior programming knowledge), out of curiosity, why would you like to avoid it?

I think there may have been a Penn Foster course that offered intro to programming, but I'm not sure if it's still available/ACE accredited. Maybe you can call Penn Foster and ask or someone can post about it here.

As far as cheap is concerned, Saylor is the cheapest at $25 (but I'm not sure it's the quickest) https://learn.saylor.org/course/view.php?id=6
Someone posted that it might be best to actually take a class that's why I'm wondering if any online community colleges offer it or any other options. Not really looking to avoid SL, but looking at any and all options besides them. In all honesty I'll probably take it with TESU, but just wanting some feedback.
tsimmns Wrote:Someone posted that it might be best to actually take a class that's why I'm wondering if any online community colleges offer it or any other options. Not really looking to avoid SL, but looking at any and all options besides them. In all honesty I'll probably take it with TESU, but just wanting some feedback.

SL was a breeze, and provided 4CR. I'd recommend it for anyone who has familiarity with the subject. If not, I'd suggest an actual class at a community college.
Currently studying for: Still deciding.

Done!
2020 - Harvard Extension School - ALM IT Management 
2019 - Harvard Extension School - Graduate Certificate Data Science
2018 - Harvard Extension School - Graduate Certificate Cyber Security
2016 - WGU - MBA Mgmt & Strategy
2015 - Thomas Edison State College - BSBA Marketing & CIS
what's the max you would spend ?

$1000 ?

how many proctored exams are you willing to take ?

would you be willing to go to a testing center to do exams or would you only be willing to do them on your computer at home using ProctorU or some other monitoring service ?

TESU has a guided study course for C++
Thomas Edison State University | Courses & Schedules

and there are lots of C++ tutorials on the web to help you

https://www.youtube.com/playlist?list=PL...cQuBEuPRKH

https://thenewboston.com/videos.php?cat=16

a course using python would be easier than once using C++ though

you can download a C++ compiler from here
Download binary

get the one named
codeblocks-16.01mingw-setup.exe
by clicking on the
Sourceforge.net
link

then just watch the new boston videos and you'll be programming in 10 minutes

its really not that difficult
Tor College Credits has "Intro to HTML5 and CSS3", not sure if it's a "class" like you'd want though.

CSU-Global has "Basic Programming", again, not sure if it's a "class."

JavaOnline.org is another option, and it's definitely a class. You would have to take Java for Beginners, AND Advanced Java because they're 2cr each. You could take them as 4-wk or 8-wk courses, and if you have the option of paying separately or both courses in advance (discount for doing that). So if you paid for both courses together as "fast track", it would be $180. Then, it would be an additional proctoring fee, if you used Sylvan, but now he will let people arrange for another proctor. And he used to charge an extra $50 per course for college credit, but that's no longer on his website, so I suppose that's no longer an issue.
TESU BSBA/HR 2018 - WVNCC BOG AAS 2017 - GGU Cert in Mgmt 2000
EXAMS: TECEP Tech Wrtg, Comp II, LA Math, PR, Computers  DSST Computers, Pers Fin  CLEP Mgmt, Mktg
COURSES: TESU Capstone  Study.com Pers Fin, Microecon, Stats  Ed4Credit Acct 2  PF Fin Mgmt  ALEKS Int & Coll Alg  Sophia Proj Mgmt The Institutes - Ins Ethics  Kaplan PLA
and there's plenty here
Undergraduate Courses : Athabasca University
I think they're around $800 or $900 each and most have one or two proctored exams

and there's this python course
https://www.uni.edu/continuinged/distanc...es/cs-1510
dfrecore Wrote:Tor College Credits has "Intro to HTML5 and CSS3", not sure if it's a "class" like you'd want though.
FWIW, HTML and CSS are not programming languages.
That's my thoughts. These basic programming classes sound good, but the requirement is a programming language in C or higher. I don't know if Python classes or HTML count, unless they are used as electives in other programming language in AOS.
bluebooger Wrote:and there's plenty here
Undergraduate Courses : Athabasca University
I think they're around $800 or $900 each and most have one or two proctored exams

and there's this python course
https://www.uni.edu/continuinged/distanc...es/cs-1510

Thanks for these.

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  TESU Liberal Studies with Concentration Class Options Jenna.C 2 2,547 09-17-2018, 11:25 AM
Last Post: Jenna.C
  Does TESU put the free Ethics class from the Institutes as a grade or just as credit? Jenna.C 19 5,364 09-14-2018, 12:27 AM
Last Post: MNomadic
  Penn Foster/TESU UL last class FinishTHEM 3 1,374 07-02-2018, 10:30 PM
Last Post: FinishTHEM
  Easy TESU Class...need help omuneek 4 1,472 06-20-2018, 01:36 PM
Last Post: omuneek
  Easiest Math Class for TESU BALS? Kickedthehabit2 3 1,386 05-21-2018, 10:42 AM
Last Post: dfrecore
  Easy TESU class? sarg123 19 4,579 04-26-2018, 12:28 PM
Last Post: cookderosa
  Are there any Programming Language courses in Python that TESU will accept? camjenks 2 1,095 04-26-2018, 07:43 AM
Last Post: Sapientes
  One hour UL class for COSC frank.f.franky 4 1,744 04-16-2018, 11:51 PM
Last Post: boalex207
  Thomas Edison Calculus Class ALstudent 8 2,408 03-13-2018, 03:47 PM
Last Post: frank.f.franky
  Statistics, think TESU will give me credit for this class? StoicJ 5 1,736 01-23-2018, 12:33 PM
Last Post: StoicJ