Thread Rating:
  • 2 Vote(s) - 5 Average
Review of ECE World Conflicts Since 1900
Haven't seen a thread on ECE World Conflicts since 1900 ...soo since I just passed it today, here's my feedback before I forget hilarious

Conflicts:
World War 1 - lots of questions especially on causes
World War 2 - a few questions, most notably on Germany and Hitler. Several questions on Hitler's motives/strategy. Also a couple on european powers breaking up and administering the conquered lands.
Korea - Several questions on Korea, esp. causes and international actions (*** this one was NOT listed on the study guide)
Veitnam - Causes, how it ended
Balkans - lots of questions on the breakup of Yugoslavia, and slobo's motives (one specific question was: which state was the first to break away). Also, know why each state declared independance..ie...cultural reasons, safety
Gulf War - Causes, UN action (also, specific question was: what year did it start?)
Iraq - there were a few questions on Iraq's motives for invading kuwait, and for attacking Iran...and questions about who the US supported, why...and UN action
Cold War - several questions on the cold war, mostly about nuke deterrent, proxy wars, when the cold war ended and why (specific question: what action most closely depicts the end of the cold war? answer was the fall of the berlin wall)
Arab/Israeli - several questions on the different wars, and who signed what treaty and why (specific question: when was the first arab/israeli war? answer: as soon as israel was created)
Pakistan/India - couple questions, mostly on kashmir and nukes (specific questions: which nation gained its independance from pakistan? answer: bangladesh question: why did pakistan start nuke testing?)

Major things to study:
UNITED NATIONS! study basically everything about UN actions, abilities. lots of questions
Treaties - several questions on major treaties and accords like versailles, camp david, oslo, nonproliferation
American Wars/motives - seemed to have alot of questions on specifically american wars/motives (America is the nation that has been involved in the most conflicts in the 1900's)
Political Scientists/writers - there were a LOT of questions on the writings/theories of: Stoessinger, Huntington, Waltz.
Terrorism - causes, why it's easier today (also, NGOs), definition of terrorism
Globalization - a couple questions on impact

Terms to KNOW:

Balance of power
bipolar/multipolar
Collective security
Realism
Liberalism
Marxism

I think that's about what I can remember. The test was almost wholly fact memorization, with a few theoretical scenario questions thrown in (130 questions total). Hope that helps someone, I didn't know much about any of the writers, or half of the terms, but had a basic knowledge of all the conflicts and I looked through the ECE study guide and read "Complete Idiot's guide to World Conflicts". I was also falling asleep during the test, but still managed to pass.

Good luck!
[SIZE="1"]CLEPS:
[COLOR="green"]Social Sciences and History
College Math
English Composition (no essay) [/COLOR]

DANTES:
[COLOR="green"]World Religions
Civil War and Reconstruction
Drug & Alcohol Abuse
Management Information Systems [/COLOR]

Excelsior:
[COLOR="Green"]Organizational Behavior
Ethics: Theory and Practice
World Conflicts since 1900
World Population [/COLOR][/SIZE]

All done! 42 credits by exam
Yeeeah! Well done Urbannaja,

I bet it was a great feeling to get this exam over and done with.

Thank you for the detailed feedback. That's the kind of feedback that will be extremely helpful to anyone taking the exam in the future.

There's no stopping you now.

Keep it up,
Snazzlefrag
My name is Rob

Total Credits: 142 (12 not used).
[SIZE=1]GPA: 4.0
[/SIZE]
Outstanding!!!

This one is next up for me, so I really appreciate the feedback!!!
Good job on passing the test and what great feedback!

I could never remember that much once I get up from the test. :confused:
Nice work, urbannaja! Smile
--
Steve
Webmaster, InstantCert.com
Just got through with this one....passed with a "B".

Urbannaja hit the nail on the head with the previous feedback. I would add a couple of things. The outline starts at WWI, but one should be familiar with a couple of events prior that, such as the Hague Conference of 1899, and the Thirty Years War.

The exam is pretty straight forward. Memorize the who, what, where, why facts regarding the conflicts in the outline, and know the theories (realism, liberalism, marxism, constructivism, etc.) and the theorists (Waltz, Hunnington, Stoessinger, Nye etc.) and you should have no problem.

Being a news and history channel junkie will help alot, too.

Regarding Excelsior recommended sources:

Stoessinger-"Why nations go to war", great book , very readable, great for the details of the conflicts/wars. Short on theory, though, except for his.

Nye-"Understanding International Conflicts", this is an excellent book on analysis of international relations, but if you don't live, eat, breathe IR, then it can be a little tedious. Nye also has a lecture series at the "Teaching Company" called "Must History Repeat the Conflicts of the 20th Century". It is very good for details, theory and analysis, but it only covers WWI, WWII, and the Cold War! His lecture style is a little stiff so it can be a slow go.

Ziegler-"War, Peace and International Politics", best of the 3, his writing style is great for a beginner in international relations. If you only get one, get this one!

130 questions, finished in about an hour... After I revisit "History of Nazi Germany" next week, I will be on to the next one.
cederic824 Wrote:Just got through with this one....passed with a "B".

Urbannaja hit the nail on the head with the previous feedback. I would add a couple of things. The outline starts at WWI, but one should be familiar with a couple of events prior that, such as the Hague Conference of 1899, and the Thirty Years War.

The exam is pretty straight forward. Memorize the who, what, where, why facts regarding the conflicts in the outline, and know the theories (realism, liberalism, marxism, constructivism, etc.) and the theorists (Waltz, Hunnington, Stoessinger, Nye etc.) and you should have no problem.

Stoessinger-"Why nations go to war", great book , very readable, great for the details of the conflicts/wars. Short on theory, though, except for his.

Nye-"Understanding International Conflicts", this is an excellent book on analysis of international relations, but if you don't live, eat, breathe IR, then it can be a little tedious. Nye also has a lecture series at the "Teaching Company" called "Must History Repeat the Conflicts of the 20th Century". It is very good for details, theory and analysis, but it only covers WWI, WWII, and the Cold War! His lecture style is a little stiff so it can be a slow go.

Ziegler-"War, Peace and International Politics", best of the 3, his writing style is great for a beginner in international relations. If you only get one, get this one!

130 questions, finished in about an hour... After I revisit "History of Nazi Germany" next week, I will be on to the next one.

Well done cederic,

Wow! Excellent feedback. Between you and Urbannaja, this thread has become a fantastic resource for the World Conflicts exam.

Thank you very much....and congratulations again,
Snazzlefrag
My name is Rob

Total Credits: 142 (12 not used).
[SIZE=1]GPA: 4.0
[/SIZE]
Urbannaja Wrote:Haven't seen a thread on ECE World Conflicts since 1900 ...soo since I just passed it today,.......

[SIZE="5"]What incredible news and an even more amazing review and detailed information. Way To Go!!![/SIZE]
ShotoJuku +
A.S., B.S., M.S., MBA
IC Forums Senior Super Moderator  
Passing It On & Paying It Forward To All Just Starting or Completing Their Educational Journey!

Shoto's Passing Your Exam Advice Here --->   http://www.degreeforum.net/general-educa...#post59179
God Bless The USA :patriot:

[SIZE="4"]A "B" is a terrific grade, I'll take a 3.0 any day of the week (and twice on Sunday's!) Congrats!!![/SIZE]
ShotoJuku +
A.S., B.S., M.S., MBA
IC Forums Senior Super Moderator  
Passing It On & Paying It Forward To All Just Starting or Completing Their Educational Journey!

Shoto's Passing Your Exam Advice Here --->   http://www.degreeforum.net/general-educa...#post59179
God Bless The USA :patriot:

Yeah!! Congratulations cederic and thanks for adding to this thread.

Librevore
Kate
BS Psychology

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  TESU - BSBA in Marketing - Plan Review chattenoire 2 1,249 06-22-2018, 01:59 PM
Last Post: dfrecore
  Please review my Plan BSBA in CIS ainokami 1 872 05-21-2018, 03:31 PM
  Please review my Plan - Excelsior BPS Tech Mgmt ainokami 0 836 05-21-2018, 11:00 AM
Last Post: ainokami
  Please Review My Credits & Help Me Choose a Degree Plan warriortaupou 4 1,410 05-17-2018, 11:38 PM
Last Post: warriortaupou
  Need your review burbuja0512 14 2,458 03-10-2018, 01:27 PM
Last Post: icampy
  Recommendations for TESU's "Understanding the Physical and Natural World"? leland.kirk 7 1,856 02-15-2018, 09:20 AM
Last Post: davewill
Question Fulfilling the Natural World requirements: ELSADDIQ 10 1,834 02-06-2018, 08:59 AM
Last Post: cookderosa
  BUS-421 Online Capstone Review BearEDU 8 3,657 01-30-2018, 02:27 AM
Last Post: NonTrad
  BSBA Roadmap review Blackstar12 4 1,855 01-16-2018, 02:54 AM
  ACTFL ACE review pending since 11/29/2017 oldtown77 0 951 12-07-2017, 02:12 AM
Last Post: oldtown77