Thread Rating:
  • 2 Vote(s) - 5 Average
Review of ECE World Conflicts Since 1900
Do the practice tests tell you the equivalent grade? I heard it was possible to get a 75-80% and score an A on some of the exams.
Graduate of Not VUL or ENEB
MS, MSS and Graduate Cert
AAS, AS, BA, and BS
CLEP
Intro Psych 70, US His I 64, Intro Soc 63, Intro Edu Psych 70, A&I Lit 64, Bio 68, Prin Man 69, Prin Mar 68
DSST
Life Dev Psych 62, Fund Coun 68, Intro Comp 469, Intro Astr 56, Env & Hum 70, HTYH 456, MIS 451, Prin Sup 453, HRM 62, Bus Eth 458
ALEKS
Int Alg, Coll Alg
TEEX
4 credits
TECEP
Fed Inc Tax, Sci of Nutr, Micro, Strat Man, Med Term, Pub Relations
CSU
Sys Analysis & Design, Programming, Cyber
SL
Intro to Comm, Microbio, Acc I
Uexcel
A&P
Davar
Macro, Intro to Fin, Man Acc
sanantone Wrote:Do the practice tests tell you the equivalent grade?

They don't. For many ECEs you can get potentially helpful information on the grading distribution of past test takers by digging into the Technical Handbook. This 2011 edition [pdf] is the most recent posted.
Thank you both. Jonathan, that PDF is interesting and helpful!
BA History 2014 - TESC

The Lord is my shepherd. Psalm 23

"I'm going on an adventure!' ~AUJ
"It is our fight." ~DoS
"I am not alone." ~BotFA
"All we have to decide is what to do with the time that's given to us." ~FotR
"There is still hope." ~TTT
"Courage..." "This day, we fight!" ~RotK

CLEP: A&I Lit 74 ~ Am Lit 73 ~ Eng Lit 72 ~ Humanities 75 ~ College Math 77 ~ Western Civ I 63 ~ Western Civ II 69 ~ Natural Sci 64 ~ US History I 76 ~ US History II 69 ~ Sociology 68 ~ Am Gov 69 ~ Social Sci & Hist 71 ~ College Comp 61 ~ Marketing 70 ~ Management 66 ~ Psychology 67

DSST: Supervision 453 ~ Tech Writing 61 ~ Computing 427 ~ Middle East 65 ~ Soviet Union 65 ~ Vietnam War 74 ~[COLOR="#0099cc"] Civil War 68

[/COLOR]Other: College+ Biblical Social Justice B ~ ECE World Conflicts Since 1900 A

TESC courses: Capstone A ~ Leaders in History A ~ Photography 101 A- ~ Games People Play A ~ International Relations A- ~ Mass Communications I A

$5 off IC - 59690
My hair jewelry business
Wanted to leave my feedback here in the free Forum too Big Grin
Westerner, on April 15, 2013 Wrote:Just passed this test with an "A"! I was so nervous and totally did not expect that score. God is so good!!!

I spent about a month studying, 2 weeks to read the 3 recommended books for the first time and 2-2.5 weeks to review the books, go over IC's SEF tips, do the PTs, and research online.

I read Zeigler's "War, Peace and International Politics," Nye's "Understanding Global Conflicts and Cooperation," and Stoessinger's "Why Nations Go To War," in that order. For each book, I got not the most recent edition, but the one before that, all bought used on Amazon. They weren't too expensive that way. Wink The books are arranged below in the order I liked them and thought them useful. But I do think all 3 are essential for a good score on the test. I didn't get the EC book of essays, but from the PTs, books and SEF, I got familiar with the other theories and theorists mentioned there.
—Zeigler's book was a great introduction, not written like a stuffy textbook and covers everything you need to know very well.
—Nye's book was heavy on international relations, which is crucial for the test, and it also explained things very well.
—Stoessinger's book is pretty much written from only his perspective and contains his opinions, not a well-rounded look at everything like the other 2. But it does a great job of explaining the conflicts in vivid detail.
—I also got the "Idiot's Guide to World Conflicts" and it was the first book I read, while waiting for the other 3. It only covers contemporary conflicts, but it's good for that.
—I watched some of Khan Academy's History videos, which I really like.

Practice tests: I got 83% on the 24 questions in the Official Study Guide/Fact Sheet, so I bought the 2 practice tests and took the first one—58%. I review some more and took the second—66%. By then I was getting nervous, wondering if they'd refreshed the test and if the SEF tips weren't relevant anymore.
In the hours before the test, I reread Nye's book and the first half of Stoessinger's, and reviewed both the fact sheet and the 2 PTs. I was hoping for at least a "B" but I had lots of family and friends praying for me and God miraculously enabled me to get the "A"! My percentages on the 3 sections were: Case Studies—92%, Theories: Competing Views—85%, Contemporary Sources of Conflict—72%.

I found the fact sheet Qs to be more straightforward and the PT Qs to be more ambiguous. But there were some questions on the test of both formats. Test Qs ranged from basic ("Identify this person" or "The following describes what term?") to a few questions that were so subjective. If you don't know when the test was written, how do you know what they consider "today"? Well, you had to know, or guess, to answer something like, "If bunnies eat carrots, what impact does that have on Farmer Brown's garden today?" Silly question but you get the idea. (Thankfully there weren't many of that type!) Anyway. Bottom line: I would recommend buying the $25 PTs to be safe and get as high a score as possible Big Grin

—Study up lots on nuclear weapons (when tests were done, treaties, timelines, MAD...)
—NGOs, non-state actors
—Realism (a lot), Liberalism, Conservatism, Marxism, Constructivism, Nationalism
—WW1—causes, alliances, leaders (Nicky-Willy telegrams)
—WW2—important people (Hitler & motives, beliefs), strategies
—Korean War—not too much on it, but know causes & outcomes
—Vietnam War—leaders, casualties,
—Communism & how the US & the world dealt with it
—India, Pakistan & Bangladesh—formation, wars, Kashmir, nuclear action
—USSR and how it was involved in wars
—Arab–Israel wars
—Wars of Arabs against each other
—Rwanda, how UN didn't intervene
—Breakup of Yugoslavia, Milosevic
—Somalia, Croatia, Bosnia, Montenegro (+ Dayton Accords)
—Drugs, diamonds, oil & water, and the conflicts over them
—Sierra Leone (causes, diamonds, outcome)
—Huntington, Waltz (& their theories)
—Terrorism—definitions, important cases
—Truman Doctrine, Marshall Plan
—Definitions of "detente," "domino theory," "self-determination"
—the UN, its makeup & what it's done
—Iran-Iraq War & what the US did
—Iraq & Kuwait—motives, US involvement
—Globalization and technology (impacts)
—Country A/Country B scenarios
—Don't neglect the early years of the 20th century—Austria, Germany, Russia and Japan were fighting wars then that you'll need to know about
—IC's SEF contains lots of other great tips

A fun break while studying could to be to watch movies related to the subject. Movies about World Conflicts really helped me to visualize, get the main ideas really stuck in my head, understand the issues and get a good feel for that time in history Smile My parents checked these movies out, though, and edited them. Be aware that things can and do get pretty violent here and use caution!
World War 1—"Sergeant York," "War Horse"
World War 2—"Sound of Music," "Scarlet and the Black," "One Against the Wind," "The Hiding Place," "The Great Escape," "55 Days at Peking," "Guns of Navarrone," "The Longest Day," "Captain America: The First Avenger"

Korean War—"Battle Hymn"
Vietnam War—"Green Berets"
China—"China Cry"
USSR/Russia—"Hunt for the Red October," "Ransom's Mark"
Israel—"The Exodus," "Against All Odds" TV series
India & Pakistan—"Gandhi"
Rwanda—"Hotel Rwanda"
Terrorism—"Air Force One," "Act of Valor," "Patriot Games," "Die Hard" series, various (heavily edited) James Bond films
Somalia—"Behind Enemy Lines," "Black Hawk Down"
Drugs—various TV movies and shows

It was a good thing I took the Modern Middle East and Soviet Union DSSTs before this test—that helped a lot with several questions! It would've been good to take the Vietnam War DSST before too, but it's next on my list.

Definitely a level up from a History DSST, but extremely interesting to study for! (Except all the one-world-government stuff was kinda annoying.) So study hard for this one and have fun with it!
BA History 2014 - TESC

The Lord is my shepherd. Psalm 23

"I'm going on an adventure!' ~AUJ
"It is our fight." ~DoS
"I am not alone." ~BotFA
"All we have to decide is what to do with the time that's given to us." ~FotR
"There is still hope." ~TTT
"Courage..." "This day, we fight!" ~RotK

CLEP: A&I Lit 74 ~ Am Lit 73 ~ Eng Lit 72 ~ Humanities 75 ~ College Math 77 ~ Western Civ I 63 ~ Western Civ II 69 ~ Natural Sci 64 ~ US History I 76 ~ US History II 69 ~ Sociology 68 ~ Am Gov 69 ~ Social Sci & Hist 71 ~ College Comp 61 ~ Marketing 70 ~ Management 66 ~ Psychology 67

DSST: Supervision 453 ~ Tech Writing 61 ~ Computing 427 ~ Middle East 65 ~ Soviet Union 65 ~ Vietnam War 74 ~[COLOR="#0099cc"] Civil War 68

[/COLOR]Other: College+ Biblical Social Justice B ~ ECE World Conflicts Since 1900 A

TESC courses: Capstone A ~ Leaders in History A ~ Photography 101 A- ~ Games People Play A ~ International Relations A- ~ Mass Communications I A

$5 off IC - 59690
My hair jewelry business

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  TESU - BSBA in Marketing - Plan Review chattenoire 2 1,249 06-22-2018, 01:59 PM
Last Post: dfrecore
  Please review my Plan BSBA in CIS ainokami 1 872 05-21-2018, 03:31 PM
  Please review my Plan - Excelsior BPS Tech Mgmt ainokami 0 836 05-21-2018, 11:00 AM
Last Post: ainokami
  Please Review My Credits & Help Me Choose a Degree Plan warriortaupou 4 1,410 05-17-2018, 11:38 PM
Last Post: warriortaupou
  Need your review burbuja0512 14 2,458 03-10-2018, 01:27 PM
Last Post: icampy
  Recommendations for TESU's "Understanding the Physical and Natural World"? leland.kirk 7 1,856 02-15-2018, 09:20 AM
Last Post: davewill
Question Fulfilling the Natural World requirements: ELSADDIQ 10 1,834 02-06-2018, 08:59 AM
Last Post: cookderosa
  BUS-421 Online Capstone Review BearEDU 8 3,657 01-30-2018, 02:27 AM
Last Post: NonTrad
  BSBA Roadmap review Blackstar12 4 1,855 01-16-2018, 02:54 AM
  ACTFL ACE review pending since 11/29/2017 oldtown77 0 952 12-07-2017, 02:12 AM
Last Post: oldtown77