Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Second Bachelor’s with FlexPath?
I have been thinking about getting an additional or higher degree for a long time.  I have a BA degree in Sociology that I earned in 1997.  Then I took a few more courses to get a Paralegal certificate in 2000.  I have taken a couple of courses on Sophia last year when it was free and am trying out a few on Saylor Academy and Onlinedegree.com.  My interest is Business/HR.

I shy away from getting an MBA at this point mostly because I have been out of school for about 20 years now and my GPA was a 2.5 at best.  I really don’t know that I can just jump back in to the demands at a Master’s level.  I have recently learned that several things that I learned in school are no longer acceptable. (Like my double spaces at the end of a sentence!)

I looked in to Excelsior, but they seem to just want to steer me toward a MBA program.   Then I heard about a few people that were able to finish their bachelor’s using FlexPath at Capella within one term, after doing all the Sophia classes.  I thought... well if I could get a second bacheor’s that quickly for around $3,000, that would be a great option.  I think a current Business degree would be much more useful than Sociology. 

Any experiences with getting a second bachelor’s using FlexPath or similar?
MBA, starting July 2022
BA, Sociology 
Certificate, Paralegal Studies
Certificate, Diversity, Equity and Inclusion in the Workplace
Certificate, Global Entrepreneurship & Innovation Virtual Bootcamp
Sophia: 17 credits

LawShelf affiliate (NCCRS credits)
Buy one, get one free with my affiliate code: VK375
https://lawshelf.com/videocoursesview
FlexPath: No. You actually have to take a number of credits at standard rates before you are allowed to participate in FlexPath. That $3k degree would wind up costing over $10k, IIRC. Even TESU would be cheaper.

On the other hand, UMPI is a good option. There are a number of people here who are getting a degree at UMPI. I would suggest the management & leadership concentration. https://online.umpi.edu/programs/ If you were to do Project Management, you don't want to do PM at Sophia. Other suggestions are here: https://degreeforum.miraheze.org/wiki/Un...esque_Isle

You wouldn't be able to finish UMPI in 1 term but you might be able to do it in 2 or 3 terms ($2800-$4200).
In progress:
TESU - BA Computer Science; BSBA CIS; ASNSM Math & CS; ASBA

Completed:
Pierpont - AAS BOG
Sophia (so many), The Institutes (old), Study.com (5 courses)
ASU: Human Origins, Astronomy, Intro Health & Wellness, Western Civilization, Computer Appls & Info Technology, Intro Programming
Strayer: CIS175, CIS111, WRK100, MAT210
(04-05-2021, 11:29 AM)rachel83az Wrote: FlexPath: No. You actually have to take a number of credits at standard rates before you are allowed to participate in FlexPath. That $3k degree would wind up costing over $10k, IIRC. Even TESU would be cheaper.

On the other hand, UMPI is a good option. There are a number of people here who are getting a degree at UMPI. I would suggest the management & leadership concentration. https://online.umpi.edu/programs/ If you were to do Project Management, you don't want to do PM at Sophia. Other suggestions are here: https://degreeforum.miraheze.org/wiki/Un...esque_Isle

You wouldn't be able to finish UMPI in 1 term but you might be able to do it in 2 or 3 terms ($2800-$4200).

With Sophia credits and previous college courses taken, I should be able to transfer in enough credits from the start.  That is what this other person claims they did.  Took all of the possible classes on Sophia then started on FlexPath

I had looked at TESU also. But I am not seeing how they would be cheaper. I really do wish that they would all at least unofficially look at the transcripts I have and give me an idea what might transfer. I have my own copies of all of my transcripts, but the ones I have talked to want me to officially apply and then have them sent direct from the school. I don’t want to pay to send them a bunch of places. But would be fine with sending official ones to officially confirm once I can decide what to do.
MBA, starting July 2022
BA, Sociology 

To be honest, Capella also doesn't have a very good reputation. They're just barely above the University of Phoenix. Personally, I would not want a Capella degree at any cost if I could help it.

If you list your old credits here + what you've done at Sophia then we can have a pretty good idea of what will transfer into a degree at any of the big 3.
In progress:
TESU - BA Computer Science; BSBA CIS; ASNSM Math & CS; ASBA

Completed:
Pierpont - AAS BOG
Sophia (so many), The Institutes (old), Study.com (5 courses)
ASU: Human Origins, Astronomy, Intro Health & Wellness, Western Civilization, Computer Appls & Info Technology, Intro Programming
Strayer: CIS175, CIS111, WRK100, MAT210
[-] The following 1 user Likes rachel83az's post:
  • Flelm
(04-05-2021, 12:04 PM)rachel83az Wrote: To be honest, Capella also doesn't have a very good reputation. They're just barely above the University of Phoenix. Personally, I would not want a Capella degree at any cost if I could help it.

If you list your old credits here + what you've done at Sophia then we can have a pretty good idea of what will transfer into a degree at any of the big 3.

Thanks. I have been looking at so many options that it’s getting really hard to sort it all out...

Skipping most of the courses that pertained to my Sociology major/Psychology Minor and classes that I got a D in (yeah, I got a couple of those.  Yikes!)...

Indiana University of PA - (1992-94)
EN101 College Writing
PC101 General Psychology
FN143 Nutirtion and Wellness
RS290 Christianity
FL121  Humanities Lit
FR101 Basic French (Total of 2 years French)
GM151 German 1 (Took a total of 3 years German) 
SO151 Principles of Sociology

Edinboro University of PA - (1994-1997)
HIST262 History of the US 2
MATH104 Finite Math
COMM107 Fundamentals of Speech
CRIM20020. Intro to Law Enforcement
THEA203 Fundamentals of Acting
CRIM Intro to corrections
ENG102 Sp Writing and Research
PHIL200 Intro to Phil and Values
CHEM Elementary Chemistry

Gannon University- (Paralegal Certificate 2000-01)
These are all Legal classes - 30 credits

Sophia - (Last year)
Developing Effective Teams
Intro to Business

Currently taking - 
Saylor Academy - Principles of Marketing
MBA, starting July 2022
BA, Sociology 

I don't think you qualify for a Pell Grant, so I was wondering... Do you have tuition assistance or reimbursement from work? Is Capella giving you a significant discount? I'm not sure why you're looking at Capella, but here's a response I had a few months ago to someone who wanted to decide: https://www.degreeforum.net/mybb/Thread-...#pid321356
In Progress: Walden MBA | TESU BA Biology & Computer Science
Graduate Certificate: Global Management & Entrepreneurship, ASU (Freebie)

Completed: TESU ASNSM Biology, BSBA (ACBSP Accredited 2017)
Universidad Isabel I: ENEB MBA, Big Data & BI, Digital Marketing & E-Commerce
Certs: 6Sigma/Lean/Scrum, ITIL | Cisco/CompTIA/MTA | Coursera/Edx/Udacity

The Basic Approach | Plans | DegreeForum Community Supported Wiki
~Note~ Read/Review forum posts & Wiki Links to Sample Degree Plans
Degree Planning Advice | New To DegreeForum? How This Area Works

[Image: e7P9EJ4.jpeg]
(04-05-2021, 12:34 PM)bjcheung77 Wrote: I don't think you qualify for a Pell Grant, so I was wondering... Do you have tuition assistance or reimbursement from work?  Is Capella giving you a significant discount?  I'm not sure why you're looking at Capella, but here's a response I had a few months ago to someone who wanted to decide: https://www.degreeforum.net/mybb/Thread-...#pid321356

No financial assistance of any sort.  It would be completely out of pocket.  The only reason I gave Capella a look is because someone told me that they finished it using FlexPath in one term.  They did all of the Sophia classes (which are free for Capella students) then finished it up on FlexPath.  Cost to them was $2700.
MBA, starting July 2022
BA, Sociology 

I'd take a look at UMPI. I think Capella's reputation works against it here, and if you want a quick, relatively inexpensive business degree I think they're your best bet.
In Progress: MBA - HAUniv, Anticipated 2024
Completed: BSBA OpMgmt - TESU June 2021

UG - AP Tests: 20 credits | APICS: 12 Credits | CLEP: 6 credits | Saylor Academy: 6 credits | Sophia.org: 27 credits | Study.com: 12 credits | Davar Academy: 3 credits | TESU: 15 credits | Other College: 99.5 credits
GR - HAUniv: 9 credits
(04-05-2021, 12:38 PM)Vle045 Wrote:
(04-05-2021, 12:34 PM)bjcheung77 Wrote: I don't think you qualify for a Pell Grant, so I was wondering... Do you have tuition assistance or reimbursement from work?  Is Capella giving you a significant discount?  I'm not sure why you're looking at Capella, but here's a response I had a few months ago to someone who wanted to decide: https://www.degreeforum.net/mybb/Thread-...#pid321356

No financial assistance of any sort.  It would be completely out of pocket.  The only reason I gave Capella a look is because someone told me that they finished it using FlexPath in one term.  They did all of the Sophia classes (which are free for Capella students) then finished it up on FlexPath.  Cost to them was $2700.

I would take a look at COSC and UMPI, for COSC they're just a tad over $3K, and for UMPI, it's $2800 if you finish in two terms. Both a much better STATE/PUBLIC university... I mean, if Capella was forking out the degree for free or near free, I wouldn't both with them. If you have the Pell Grant, I would "pay" more for a TESU degree though, it's just the ROI/Value is better in the long run...
In Progress: Walden MBA | TESU BA Biology & Computer Science
Graduate Certificate: Global Management & Entrepreneurship, ASU (Freebie)

Completed: TESU ASNSM Biology, BSBA (ACBSP Accredited 2017)
Universidad Isabel I: ENEB MBA, Big Data & BI, Digital Marketing & E-Commerce
Certs: 6Sigma/Lean/Scrum, ITIL | Cisco/CompTIA/MTA | Coursera/Edx/Udacity

The Basic Approach | Plans | DegreeForum Community Supported Wiki
~Note~ Read/Review forum posts & Wiki Links to Sample Degree Plans
Degree Planning Advice | New To DegreeForum? How This Area Works

[Image: e7P9EJ4.jpeg]
I would look at Northern Arizona competency based program, specifically the BA/BS in Management with an emphasis in HR. Seems like exactly what you want, degree wise. If you could get it done in 1 six-month term, it would cost you $3,000. To me, spending an extra $300 to get the degree you want from a far superior school in terms of reputation (and probably quality of education) is an absolute no brainer.

I currently attend UMPI and have very positive things to say about it as well.
Master of Accountancy (taxation concentration), University of Texas Rio Grande Valley, in progress. 
Master of Business Administration (financial planning specialization), University of Texas Rio Grande Valley, in progress.

BA, UMPI.  Accounting major; Business Administration major/Management & Leadership concentration.  Awarded Dec. 2021.

In-person/B&M: BA (history, archaeology)
In-person/B&M: MA (American history)

Sophia: 15 courses (42hrs)

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  Metropolia for quick bachelor's degree to get in a master's program klicer 5 285 03-21-2024, 01:44 AM
Last Post: klicer
  WGU Advice - Bachelor's or Master's in Education? nykorn 2 294 01-17-2024, 06:36 AM
Last Post: Ghostwill
Question Degree Planning: Seeking a Bachelor's Degree from UMPI JayJohnson813 12 884 12-01-2023, 01:02 AM
Last Post: bjcheung77
Question Fastest online bachelor’s degree SmugKitten 6 1,203 10-02-2023, 11:50 AM
Last Post: Duneranger
  63 credits. Please help me finish my bachelor's Confusedali 10 613 09-28-2023, 03:23 PM
Last Post: Confusedali
  Pierpont to Bachelor's Degree MidtownNYC 2 414 09-04-2023, 10:56 AM
  I Want A Bachelor's Degree Which Path Is The Fastest For Me?? jrose963 15 1,426 08-18-2023, 05:06 PM
Last Post: jrose963
  Pierpont to Bachelor's Degree? adaggiote 2 442 08-12-2023, 10:44 AM
  Need a Bachelor's degree for promotion. cj91 23 1,254 08-11-2023, 11:00 PM
  Please help me plan my Gen Ed courses for a Bachelor of Arts in Mathematics at SNHU ausernameisneeded 13 1,810 08-01-2023, 01:20 AM
Last Post: ausernameisneeded