Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Study.com and ProctorU Questions
I wonder if SDC, SL or OnlineDegree.com, etc., allow extra time for testing for students with disabilities?  Having dyslexia and some memory issues allowed to me get extra time on tests in online college courses.  The ADA's rules also afforded me scrap paper, on which I wrote down each individual question, as needed when I took some CBEs.  I had an in-person proctor for those events so they could clearly see I was not cheating.  Since the webcam records the actions in the room, seems like this would not be an issue - with the possible exception of extra time and I would agree to pay for anything past the allotted time.   Anyone have a related experience - positive or negative?
Robin
10-year member

~ Slowly collecting credits from a variety of sources. Almost finished with my baccalaureate degree. 2019
(02-06-2019, 02:28 PM)rvm Wrote: I wonder if SDC, SL or OnlineDegree.com, etc., allow extra time for testing for students with disabilities?  Having dyslexia and some memory issues allowed to me get extra time on tests in online college courses.  The ADA's rules also afforded me scrap paper, on which I wrote down each individual question, as needed when I took some CBEs.  I had an in-person proctor for those events so they could clearly see I was not cheating.  Since the webcam records the actions in the room, seems like this would not be an issue - with the possible exception of extra time and I would agree to pay for anything past the allotted time.   Anyone have a related experience - positive or negative?

I haven't tried to get accommodation for my Dyscalculia (I just figured out a workaround), but I know you can request special accommodation for documented disabilities. You just need to coordinate with the school and proctor and provide any necessary paperwork. I don't know what kind of accommodation they will offer, but its probably similar to what you've experienced elsewhere.
Working On: Researching postgraduate degree options while awaiting BSBA conferral
Up Next: MBA-ITM or MSM @ WGU, then considering GA Tech OMSCS or a Ph.D.

BSBA in Computer Information Systems @ TESU (certified complete, graduate March 2019)
ASNSM in Computer Science @ TESU (certified complete, graduate March 2019)

B&M CC: 8.68cr, TESU: 3cr, CLEP/DSST: 15cr, Study.com: 57cr, Straighterline: 19cr, ALEKS: 9cr, TEEX: 6cr, The Institutes: 2cr, Sophia: 2cr
(121.68 credits total. Earned 92 credits over 10 months, with half of those earned in ~3 months)
[-] The following 1 user Likes Merlin's post:
  • rvm
(02-06-2019, 07:14 PM)Merlin Wrote:
(02-06-2019, 02:28 PM)rvm Wrote: I wonder if SDC, SL or OnlineDegree.com, etc., allow extra time for testing for students with disabilities?  Having dyslexia and some memory issues allowed to me get extra time on tests in online college courses.  The ADA's rules also afforded me scrap paper, on which I wrote down each individual question, as needed when I took some CBEs.  I had an in-person proctor for those events so they could clearly see I was not cheating.  Since the webcam records the actions in the room, seems like this would not be an issue - with the possible exception of extra time and I would agree to pay for anything past the allotted time.   Anyone have a related experience - positive or negative?

I haven't tried to get accommodation for my Dyscalculia (I just figured out a workaround), but I know you can request special accommodation for documented disabilities. You just need to coordinate with the school and proctor and provide any necessary paperwork. I don't know what kind of accommodation they will offer, but its probably similar to what you've experienced elsewhere.

Thank you Merlin!  Smile
Robin
10-year member

~ Slowly collecting credits from a variety of sources. Almost finished with my baccalaureate degree. 2019

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  Study.com - what happens to completed courses when you change levels? Jenniferinfl 3 246 Yesterday, 10:28 PM
Last Post: bethanyneedsajob
  Davar Study Guides no longer free? shadowgem 0 104 02-13-2019, 11:57 PM
Last Post: shadowgem
  STUDY.COM updated list Master 18 1,096 02-13-2019, 05:32 PM
Last Post: vpassenheim
  Fast and easy 2 Study.com courses for TESU BALS CarpeDiem8 4 2,065 02-12-2019, 01:52 PM
Last Post: MNomadic
  Study.com Essays and Assignments natshar 12 321 02-12-2019, 10:43 AM
Last Post: runningtherace2
  Study.Com tests....can you tell me. ChilliDawg 15 316 02-11-2019, 05:36 PM
Last Post: ChilliDawg
Bug Study.com Cybersecurity UL? SuperTal 6 120 02-11-2019, 11:06 AM
Last Post: dfrecore
  Are there alternatives to these 2 classes at Study.com? AwardTour 3 176 02-06-2019, 07:35 PM
Last Post: AwardTour
  The official guide to courses by Straighterline, Study, et al: We want YOUR input! aviator guy 121 36,425 02-05-2019, 10:59 PM
Last Post: Supermind
Exclamation Study.com - Are 2 course completions a week achievable? lalacabore 24 1,048 02-04-2019, 03:59 PM
Last Post: lalacabore