Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Study.com and ProctorU Questions
I wonder if SDC, SL or OnlineDegree.com, etc., allow extra time for testing for students with disabilities?  Having dyslexia and some memory issues allowed to me get extra time on tests in online college courses.  The ADA's rules also afforded me scrap paper, on which I wrote down each individual question, as needed when I took some CBEs.  I had an in-person proctor for those events so they could clearly see I was not cheating.  Since the webcam records the actions in the room, seems like this would not be an issue - with the possible exception of extra time and I would agree to pay for anything past the allotted time.   Anyone have a related experience - positive or negative?
Robin
Member since 2008

~ Slowly collecting credits from a variety of sources. Almost finished with my baccalaureate degree.
(02-06-2019, 02:28 PM)rvm Wrote: I wonder if SDC, SL or OnlineDegree.com, etc., allow extra time for testing for students with disabilities?  Having dyslexia and some memory issues allowed to me get extra time on tests in online college courses.  The ADA's rules also afforded me scrap paper, on which I wrote down each individual question, as needed when I took some CBEs.  I had an in-person proctor for those events so they could clearly see I was not cheating.  Since the webcam records the actions in the room, seems like this would not be an issue - with the possible exception of extra time and I would agree to pay for anything past the allotted time.   Anyone have a related experience - positive or negative?

I haven't tried to get accommodation for my Dyscalculia (I just figured out a workaround), but I know you can request special accommodation for documented disabilities. You just need to coordinate with the school and proctor and provide any necessary paperwork. I don't know what kind of accommodation they will offer, but its probably similar to what you've experienced elsewhere.
In Progress: MBA in IT Management, Western Governors University (25/35cu | Sep 2019)
Up Next: Perhaps an MSCS or a DBA/DM/Ph.D.

Complete:
BSBA in Computer Information Systems, 2019, Thomas Edison State University
ASNSM in Computer Science, 2019, Thomas Edison State University

B&M CC: 8.68cr, TESU: 3cr, CLEP/DSST: 15cr, Study.com: 57cr, Straighterline: 19cr, ALEKS: 9cr, TEEX: 6cr, The Institutes: 2cr, Sophia: 2cr
(121.68 credits total. 95 credits earned in 10 months, with 45 of those earned in ~3 months)
[-] The following 1 user Likes Merlin's post:
  • rvm
(02-06-2019, 07:14 PM)Merlin Wrote:
(02-06-2019, 02:28 PM)rvm Wrote: I wonder if SDC, SL or OnlineDegree.com, etc., allow extra time for testing for students with disabilities?  Having dyslexia and some memory issues allowed to me get extra time on tests in online college courses.  The ADA's rules also afforded me scrap paper, on which I wrote down each individual question, as needed when I took some CBEs.  I had an in-person proctor for those events so they could clearly see I was not cheating.  Since the webcam records the actions in the room, seems like this would not be an issue - with the possible exception of extra time and I would agree to pay for anything past the allotted time.   Anyone have a related experience - positive or negative?

I haven't tried to get accommodation for my Dyscalculia (I just figured out a workaround), but I know you can request special accommodation for documented disabilities. You just need to coordinate with the school and proctor and provide any necessary paperwork. I don't know what kind of accommodation they will offer, but its probably similar to what you've experienced elsewhere.

Thank you Merlin!  Smile
Robin
Member since 2008

~ Slowly collecting credits from a variety of sources. Almost finished with my baccalaureate degree.

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  Basic question about Study.com, Saylor.org, Shmoop, and other ACE credits services cecilgambe7 11 230 4 hours ago
Last Post: cecilgambe7
  How is Study.com? abs_co 13 256 6 hours ago
Last Post: lacussucceed
  New Study.com courses (5/16/19) dfrecore 114 6,889 6 hours ago
Last Post: dfrecore
  Sending Study.com Transcripts on a Paused Account natshar 5 113 Today, 05:42 AM
Last Post: cookderosa
  modern states courses and Saylor tests or study.com? gingermama 6 150 Yesterday, 05:13 PM
  Update to Study.com courses from May 2019 dfrecore 0 85 Yesterday, 05:07 PM
  Study.com number of proctored exams per month? AwardTour 3 130 Yesterday, 04:07 AM
  Study.com makes approved provider kevro64 3 279 07-16-2019, 08:26 PM
Last Post: Supermind
  The official guide to courses by Straighterline, Study, et al: We want YOUR input! aviator guy 148 67,740 07-15-2019, 09:17 PM
Last Post: mysonx3
  Study.com Final dblchills 5 178 07-14-2019, 04:15 PM
Last Post: suzycupcake