Thread Rating:
  • 1 Vote(s) - 1 Average
Transferring ACE to Arizona State University
(02-11-2021, 05:14 PM)dfrecore Wrote:
(02-11-2021, 05:05 PM)nomaduser Wrote:
I hope study.com will gain at least community college status one day so they can give RA credits Sad

That's one of the crazier things I've heard on here!  I seriously doubt that will ever happen.  They are not a school, don't claim to be, and probably would never even consider becoming one.  The cost to offer credits would certainly go up beyond what people are willing to pay though, if that were to happen - running a school is not cheap.

I'd see Sophia doing something like this as a partnership between their owners, Strayer/Capella. Plus Sophia already has National Accreditation through DEAC. Maybe they could do something like offer a basic AA and offer a low cost "capstone course" through Strayer/Capella. Just a thought I'd been bouncing around...
WGU BSIT Complete January 2022
(77CU transferred in)(44/44CU ) 

RA(non WGU)(57cr)
JST/TESU Eval of NAVY Training(85/99cr)
The Institutes, TEEX, NFA(9cr): Ethics, Cyber 101/201/301, Safety
Sophia(60cr): 23 classes
Study.com(31cr): Eng105, Fin102, His108, LibSci101, Math104, Stat101, CS107, CS303, BUS107
CLEP(9cr): Intro Sociology 63 Intro Psych 61 US GOV 71
OD(12cr): Robotics, Cyber, Programming, Microecon
CSM(3cr)
Various IT/Cybersecurity Certifications from: CompTIA, Google, Microsoft, AWS, GIAC, LPI, IBM
CS Fund. MicroBachelor(3cr)
(02-11-2021, 06:47 PM)nomaduser Wrote:
(02-11-2021, 06:36 PM)monchevy Wrote: CUNY SPS isn't "continuing education." It's an actual university aimed at adults who have some credits but no degree. Continuing education is usually non-credit professional development classes and certificate programs, and very rarely has admissions requirements. Also I've never heard of transferring credits into continuing ed programs (and I've done a lot of them).

Not true!

Continuing Education departments offer bachelor's degrees these days!

Check University of Alabama's continuing education department:
https://learnon.ua.edu/prospective-stude...formation/

They give you a degree.

Also, 'School of Professional Studies' is similar to continuing ed:
NYU's School of Professional Studies was once called 'New York University School of Continuing Education'
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/New_York_U...al_Studies

But it depends on their accreditation status. Normally 'Continuing Education' departments don't have university accreditation / status.
So the education, degrees from continuing education departments won't have the accreditation.

It could be that these new 'School of Professional Studies' have proper university accreditation. So they're different from old 'Continuing Education' departments.
It's much easier to get into NYU's School of Professional Studies than NYU's other campus degree programs.

NYU's used to be called the School of Continuing and Professional Studies. I took many courses (and earned a certificate in Global Studies) there. There were continuing ed (non-credit) classes, and if you wanted to take classes for credit/a degree, you had to apply to the McGhee school, a different division. It used to be evening classes before online became a thing. Traditional FT students attended class during the day, and non-traditional PT students attended at night. 

Many schools have different divisions for adult learners. Continuing ed doesn't earn credit, it earns different credentials, like CEUs or industry-specific credits. Just because a college is geared toward working adults doesn't make it continuing education, regardless of what the school calls it. Actual continuing ed doesn't earn credit or degrees. If the classes earn college credit and degrees, it's not continuing ed.
[-] The following 1 user Likes monchevy's post:
  • ss20ts
(02-11-2021, 07:43 PM)monchevy Wrote: If the classes earn college credit and degrees, it's not continuing ed.

You're misunderstanding my points.

Continuing education departments indeed give you degrees these days! That's the new trend!

However, they may not have university status. So your degree won't be fully accredited.

For example, University College (Continuing Education) at University of Denver will give you bachelor's and master's!
https://universitycollege.du.edu/

University College means continuing education
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/University_college
(02-11-2021, 07:56 PM)nomaduser Wrote:
(02-11-2021, 07:43 PM)monchevy Wrote: If the classes earn college credit and degrees, it's not continuing ed.

You're misunderstanding my points.

Continuing education department indeed give you degrees these days! That's the new trend!

However, they may not have university status. So your degree won't be fully accredited.

For example, University College (Continuing Education) at University of Denver will give you bachelor's and master's!
https://universitycollege.du.edu/

University College means continuing education
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/University_college

You're missing my points too. Some continuing education departments geared to adults have added degree-granting divisions, yes. They're actual degrees and they're fully accredited if the school is. HOWEVER, if you only take the continuing education/lifelong learning classes, you won't earn credits or degrees. They're two entirely different things. 

You can earn non-degree continuing education units (CEUs) and certificates at NYU SPS. You can also earn a degree, which is accredited the same as any other NYU degree. The only difference between that and what you think of as "getting an NYU degree" is when and how you attend class.
(02-11-2021, 06:02 PM)dfrecore Wrote:
(02-11-2021, 05:59 PM)harrypotter Wrote: I’ve emailed them so many times asking them if they do. It turned out to be a nightmare. They never answered my question. I don’t think they’ll accept any non-collegiate credit besides CLEP..

They probably didn't even know what you were talking about.

I emailed multiple departments that are supposed to know what ACE/ non-collegiate credit is — information regarding consideration of ACE credit is literally on their website. I was just double checking to see if they’d accept anything besides CLEP...
BABA, New England College, 2019
(02-11-2021, 07:43 PM)MNomadic Wrote:
I hope study.com will gain at least community college status one day so they can give RA credits Sad

That's one of the crazier things I've heard on here!  I seriously doubt that will ever happen.  They are not a school, don't claim to be, and probably would never even consider becoming one.  The cost to offer credits would certainly go up beyond what people are willing to pay though, if that were to happen - running a school is not cheap.

I'd see Sophia doing something like this as a partnership between their owners, Strayer/Capella. Plus Sophia already has National Accreditation through DEAC. Maybe they could do something like offer a basic AA and offer a low cost "capstone course" through Strayer/Capella. Just a thought I'd been bouncing around...

Sophia's relationship with DEAC is through their AQC program, which is not the same as being NA - much more similar to ACE/NCCRS, just FYI. Capella offering an AA w/ Sophia gen eds would be pretty neat though. Smile
[-] The following 1 user Likes dbinghamjr's post:
  • MNomadic
(02-12-2021, 02:01 PM)dbinghamjr Wrote:
(02-11-2021, 07:43 PM)MNomadic Wrote:

Sophia's relationship with DEAC is through their AQC program, which is not the same as being NA - much more similar to ACE/NCCRS, just FYI. Capella offering an AA w/ Sophia gen eds would be pretty neat though. Smile

Thanks for clearing that up!
WGU BSIT Complete January 2022
(77CU transferred in)(44/44CU ) 

RA(non WGU)(57cr)
JST/TESU Eval of NAVY Training(85/99cr)
The Institutes, TEEX, NFA(9cr): Ethics, Cyber 101/201/301, Safety
Sophia(60cr): 23 classes
Study.com(31cr): Eng105, Fin102, His108, LibSci101, Math104, Stat101, CS107, CS303, BUS107
CLEP(9cr): Intro Sociology 63 Intro Psych 61 US GOV 71
OD(12cr): Robotics, Cyber, Programming, Microecon
CSM(3cr)
Various IT/Cybersecurity Certifications from: CompTIA, Google, Microsoft, AWS, GIAC, LPI, IBM
CS Fund. MicroBachelor(3cr)
(02-12-2021, 02:16 AM)harrypotter Wrote:
(02-11-2021, 05:59 PM)harrypotter Wrote: I’ve emailed them so many times asking them if they do. It turned out to be a nightmare. They never answered my question. I don’t think they’ll accept any non-collegiate credit besides CLEP..

I emailed multiple departments that are supposed to know what ACE/ non-collegiate credit is — information regarding consideration of ACE credit is literally on their website. I was just double checking to see if they’d accept anything besides CLEP...

Is it for ALL students, or do they just consider it for military students on a JST? That is a completely different thing, they don't take ACE/Acclaim transcripts.

Regarding Continuing Education: I think the original wording was the problem, as you are talking about 2 very different things: One is schools with courses that grant Continuing Eduction Units (CEU's), which is non-college-credit, but is required by many certifications (to keep learning through the years, and if you get a certain number of CEU's in a certain time period, then you keep your certificate current). The other is Continuing Education/Extension/Adult Education Departments/Schools within a larger university system, which may or may not grant college credit, certifications, and/or degrees. It's just the name of a department/school, and generally does not require the same type of admission requirements as the school associated with it.
TESU BSBA/HR 2018 - WVNCC BOG AAS 2017 - GGU Cert in Mgmt 2000
EXAMS: TECEP Tech Wrtg, Comp II, LA Math, PR, Computers  DSST Computers, Pers Fin  CLEP Mgmt, Mktg
COURSES: TESU Capstone  Study.com Pers Fin, Microecon, Stats  Ed4Credit Acct 2  PF Fin Mgmt  ALEKS Int & Coll Alg  Sophia Proj Mgmt The Institutes - Ins Ethics  Kaplan PLA
[-] The following 1 user Likes dfrecore's post:
  • davewill
(02-12-2021, 03:37 PM)dfrecore Wrote:

Is it for ALL students, or do they just consider it for military students on a JST? That is a completely different thing, they don't take ACE/Acclaim transcripts.

Regarding Continuing Education: I think the original wording was the problem, as you are talking about 2 very different things: One is schools with courses that grant Continuing Eduction Units (CEU's), which is non-college-credit, but is required by many certifications (to keep learning through the years, and if you get a certain number of CEU's in a certain time period, then you keep your certificate current). The other is Continuing Education/Extension/Adult Education Departments/Schools within a larger university system, which may or may not grant college credit, certifications, and/or degrees.  It's just the name of a department/school, and generally does not require the same type of admission requirements as the school associated with it.

I tried to explain that a dozen different ways here.

The admission requirements are different because the student body is different. The colleges/universities that have "adult" divisions are aimed at older people, especially those with some college credit and work experience under their belt already. And also people who don't (well, can't) attend classes full time, and during the day. They often dispense with the admissions essays and standardized testing requirements because they're generally not dealing with kids just starting out in the world, and who haven't done much besides graduate high school. They don't care if you were on the debate team or in the science club or were the top of the pyramid on the Spirit Squad. They expect people who are past seeing those as accomplishments.

However, if you do attend the adult division of an accredited, degree-granting school and take the same credit-bearing courses as the "traditional" student body, you'll earn a degree... and it will be accredited, unlike some misinformation given earlier in this thread.
(02-11-2021, 04:25 PM)nomaduser Wrote: All of the top 300 universities in US won't accept ACE
The one exception is Florida International University. They will take a few Straighterline courses which you score higher than 80/100 at final exams.

ACE credits make very little sense to popular brick & mortar universities... the Sophia ACE courses are way too easy and I consider them to be continuing education credits.

Betcha 1-month SDC that I could show a top 200 NU that takes ACE & require minimum 30 credit in residence.

That's a wrong approach IMO, you should not expect to find ACE-aware staff sitting at multiple department, but in the transfer credit department. If the website mention the acceptance, there should be at least one staff in the registrar that's the expert in handling ACE that he/she will contact each department on your behalf with the necessary information for the department to determine course equivalency.
[-] The following 1 user Likes Silvious's post:
  • MNomadic

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  American Public University? nomaduser 36 3,587 04-16-2024, 12:15 PM
Last Post: Charles Fout
  Prompt Engineering Course by Vanderbilt University on Coursera LevelUP 2 347 03-23-2024, 05:28 AM
Last Post: LevelUP
  Graham School - University of Chicago Charles Fout 12 1,755 03-22-2024, 07:19 AM
Last Post: Charles Fout
  Accounting courses from CPACredits.com/Upper Iowa University inor 22 1,801 03-15-2024, 05:30 AM
Last Post: rachel83az
  Eastern University Self-Paced online Degrees natshar 2 768 03-06-2024, 10:03 PM
Last Post: jumlouh
  University of Idaho acquiring University of Phoenix bjcheung77 10 1,321 03-04-2024, 06:26 PM
Last Post: Duneranger
  University of California System Bans Fully Online Degrees davewill 23 3,783 03-01-2024, 10:57 AM
Last Post: NotJoeBiden
  LLB University of London Online newdegree 1 413 02-28-2024, 01:46 PM
Last Post: freeloader
Brick Want a bachelor's degree in 3 years? University of Minnesota, Morris is trying... Ares 8 574 02-24-2024, 06:04 PM
Last Post: natshar
  Metropolia University Common Problems Resolved mariobros1985 21 2,626 02-24-2024, 06:39 AM
Last Post: therightstuff