Thread Rating:
  • 2 Vote(s) - 1 Average
UMPI & Sophia
Yeah the GEC do seem a bit confusing and on a more case per case situation but I ver much appreciate the advice! In the opinion of those already attending UMPI am I nearing enough credits to apply? I've already finished Ethics and will hopefully be polishing off a few more in the upcoming week, should I then be able to start the application process or do you think I need to collect a lot more Sophia credits? Hope this question makes sense!
(02-08-2021, 11:41 AM)portia8 Wrote: Yeah the GEC do seem a bit confusing and on a more case per case situation but I ver much appreciate the advice! In the opinion of those already attending UMPI am I nearing enough credits to apply? I've already finished Ethics and will hopefully be polishing off a few more in the upcoming week, should I then be able to start the application process or do you think I need to collect a lot more Sophia credits? Hope this question makes sense!

Yeah. The GECs aren't clear, and they seem to be adjusted depending on the type of degree in a way and applied differently depending on your credits. If you plan on enrolling in UMPI skip English Composition I & II, Public Speaking, and Foundations on Sophia. Comp I & II are much less work and much easier at UMPI. Public Speaking, you can substitute that with Communication at Work, etc. If you do all the non-touchstone classes at Sophia, you'd have about 60 credits left to do at UMPI, which isn't too shabby considering they're competency based and a state school.
[-] The following 1 user Likes ashkir's post:
  • Pikachu
(02-08-2021, 11:56 AM)ashkir Wrote:
(02-08-2021, 11:41 AM)portia8 Wrote: Yeah the GEC do seem a bit confusing and on a more case per case situation but I ver much appreciate the advice! In the opinion of those already attending UMPI am I nearing enough credits to apply? I've already finished Ethics and will hopefully be polishing off a few more in the upcoming week, should I then be able to start the application process or do you think I need to collect a lot more Sophia credits? Hope this question makes sense!

Yeah. The GECs aren't clear, and they seem to be adjusted depending on the type of degree in a way and applied differently depending on your credits. If you plan on enrolling in UMPI skip English Composition I & II, Public Speaking, and Foundations on Sophia. Comp I & II are much less work and much easier at UMPI. Public Speaking, you can substitute that with Communication at Work, etc. If you do all the non-touchstone classes at Sophia, you'd have about 60 credits left to do at UMPI, which isn't too shabby considering they're competency based and a state school.
Hmmm I see what you mean, that probably would result in me paying more at UMPI which is something if possible I would like to avoid. I really like the sound of finishing a Bachelor of Liberal Studies in Education in just one term as I'm personally funding my studies and the exchange rate is not kinda to South African currency but I do understand thats probably extremely unreleastic, though even two sessions shouldn't be to horrendous. I will try my best I guess in what I can do so long! Thank you for your help as always ! Also I think I recall someone mentioning something about a payment plan at UMPI but then something else about having to pay the full 1,400 before the session starts??
The GEC isn't that complicated once you understand how it works. It takes time to figure it out. When you're enrolled, your academic advisor gives you a sheet with the GEC that you've already completed and what you have left. You don't have a ton of options like the on campus students so it's actually easier! They do offer every single course needed to complete all of their degrees which is nice. You don't have to hunt around for courses.  

You cannot complete the BLS in 1 term. Why? Every class isn't offered in every term. Some classes are offered in Term 1 and not in Term 2 and vice versa. Every course is offered every semester which is made up of Term and Term 2. There is a payment plan. That you work out with the Financial Aid office.

I took English Composition II at UMPI and Sophia. I would NEVER recommend the Sophia course if you're transferring to UMPI. The English classes at UMPI are FAR LESS work. They will take a fraction of the time. You do not write several papers. I wasted soooo much time on that Sophia course. I ended up dropping it because of problems with the grading. I was so glad I did and took it at UMPI. I finished the course content in 2 days! Wrote my paper in 1 day. So much better than the Sophia English classes.
[-] The following 1 user Likes ss20ts's post:
  • Pikachu
I've finished Ethics, Approach to Studying Religions, Conflict Resolution and Principles of Finance. I'll hopefully be looking at the Business Law and Introduction to Statistics this week/weekend. Ak, I'm so nervous about starting to apply to UMPI, I've been put through it by so many institutions here in my country that I really just want this to work ha.
[-] The following 3 users Like portia8's post:
  • Novo, Pikachu, ss20ts
I've just received what I believe to be my degree audit from Umpi. Any advice on it?

Attached Files
.jpg   20210225_000436.jpg (Size: 440.89 KB / Downloads: 133)
(02-24-2021, 05:05 PM)portia8 Wrote: I've just received what I believe to be my degree audit from Umpi. Any advice on it?

Take Introduction to Sociology at Sophia before you enroll. Send that transcript before you officially enroll. If you wait until you're enrolled then you need your academic advisor's permission. Everything else you can do at UMPI.
(02-24-2021, 05:08 PM)ss20ts Wrote:
(02-24-2021, 05:05 PM)portia8 Wrote: I've just received what I believe to be my degree audit from Umpi. Any advice on it?

Take Introduction to Sociology at Sophia before you enroll. Send that transcript before you officially enroll. If you wait until you're enrolled then you need your academic advisor's permission. Everything else you can do at UMPI.
I actually did do Intro to sociology so I'm somewhat confused as to why it didn't transfer in when I sent it all in with my Acclaim transcript. Do you think perhaps I should ask? Also I know this may seem obvious but I'd thought I'd just ask, how many courses do I still need to fulfill with UMPI? As always appreciate your advice.
(02-24-2021, 05:13 PM)portia8 Wrote: I actually did do Intro to sociology so I'm somewhat confused as to why it didn't transfer in when I sent it all in with my Acclaim transcript. Do you think perhaps I should ask? Also I know this may seem obvious but I'd thought I'd just ask, how many courses do I still need to fulfill with UMPI? As always appreciate your advice.

I would definitely ask your academic advisor about the sociology course. You can email them and ask. Do you see it when you sign into your MaineStreet account in your transcripts? I don't see the general elective page so I can't tell you the minimum number of courses you have remaining. 
(02-24-2021, 05:16 PM)ss20ts Wrote:
(02-24-2021, 05:13 PM)portia8 Wrote: I actually did do Intro to sociology so I'm somewhat confused as to why it didn't transfer in when I sent it all in with my Acclaim transcript. Do you think perhaps I should ask? Also I know this may seem obvious but I'd thought I'd just ask, how many courses do I still need to fulfill with UMPI? As always appreciate your advice.

I would definitely ask your academic advisor about the sociology course. You can email them and ask. Do you see it when you sign into your MaineStreet account in your transcripts? I don't see the general elective page so I can't tell you the minimum number of courses you have remaining. 
I'll definitely ask about the Sociology, I haven't been sent the info the activate my account bizarrely enough. I have queried it so hopefully I'll be able to activate it soon. I thought I screen shooted the entire report, the only thing it says at the bottom is my credits which says 78, is there a way for me to provide the general elective page? I thought I included the full sheet i received. Umpi has been just as responsive as I gathered from your thread! I really appreciate all the info you've put up on the forum. It has really guided my whole process.

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  New considering UMPI but…. manyoptions4me 48 4,478 Yesterday, 03:23 PM
Last Post: bjcheung77
Rainbow GEC Critical & Creative Thinking Learning Objective D - Sophia equivalents? mythomagician 2 95 03-27-2024, 07:59 PM
  choosing between UMPI BBA in management&leadership vs project management whereismyramen 6 180 03-26-2024, 04:13 PM
  What is considered FT at UMPI YourPace for the Pell Grant? RachelB 3 172 03-26-2024, 05:50 AM
  Help with UMPI admissions requirement Throwmeaway1590 2 223 03-25-2024, 08:24 PM
  Sophia's Human biology and lab did not meet UMPi's BIO 105 HappyPeanut 9 856 03-22-2024, 07:53 PM
Last Post: lifted567
  UMPI BLS Minor Business theea 5 272 03-20-2024, 02:41 PM
  UMPI Class Review Master Thread RbxFunRocks 95 56,514 03-20-2024, 03:37 AM
Last Post: theea
  HELP! SDC to UMPI transfer jrock87 3 202 03-16-2024, 12:14 AM
Last Post: jrock87
  Which Sophia Classes Meet These Requirements? gc82 2 200 03-15-2024, 10:15 AM