Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Upset over the Institutes Insurance Ethics Course
Guys... I'm genuinely really upset and need to vent. I spent a whole day and a half studying for the Institutes Insurance Ethics course. I know a lot of you guys said you finished it in a couple hours, but I wanted to feel certain I knew the material before attempting a test. I made a Word document of all the key information I thought I would need. I then spent 2 and a half hours on the test, all to end up with 68%. I feel so discouraged because that's such a close score, yet not close enough. I put in so much more effort than the average student on here invests into that course, and still failed. Could it be for my lack of knowledge about insurance in general? I'm only 20 years old and have no clue about any of it. Why does it seem so easy for everyone else on here? No part of me wants to spend another 2 hours on this test. Should I just guess my way through until I pass? I know it'd be foolish to pass up free credit, but I need advice on how to go about it for my second attempt. Thanks.
I really hate it when people say that a course/exam is SO easy, and they did it in 15 minutes and passed with like 90%!! Instead, I try to preface what I say with WHY it was easy for me, personally, or whatever, to let people know that it might not be easy for them. So when people ask "what's the easiest Study.com course?" or "what's the easiest CLEP exam?" I try to reply with "what are you good at?" For most people, they're going to find a course or two easy, and some not so easy, and some really hard; and it's totally different for everyone which category each course/exam falls into.

Also, I find that some people are really good test-takers, and some aren't. Also, some have tons of experience, and some don't. That makes a difference.

So, if I were you, I would probably try again, this time going a bit faster, and not stress over it. You may have OVER studied and just put way too much emphasis on it, and it backfired on you. That test should not take 2 1/2 hours.
TESU BSBA/HR 2018 - WVNCC BOG AAS 2017 - GGU Cert in Mgmt 2000
EXAMS: TECEP Tech Wrtg, Comp II, LA Math, PR, Computers  DSST Computers, Pers Fin  CLEP Mgmt, Mktg
COURSES: TESU Capstone  Study.com Pers Fin, Microecon, Stats  Ed4Credit Acct 2  PF Fin Mgmt  ALEKS Int & Coll Alg  Sophia Proj Mgmt The Institutes - Ins Ethics  Kaplan PLA
[-] The following 6 users Like dfrecore's post:
  • crotique, katelynn, Lindagerr, Sapientes, StoicJ, tesu-acct-student
It is alright to be upset, none of us like failure. Sometime it is just the wording of questions or as dfrecore said you may have over thought it.

I like to compete in Trivia games at bars and such I have learned that you should usually go with your first instinct unless you rethink it quickly and KNOW the correct answer. Often when I change my answer I guess wrong.

When I was testing I always over studied and over thought test, I usually did fine but I put way to much stress on myself. I don't remember ever walking out of an exam without a headache.

Study just a little more especially areas you felt least prepared for and then take it one more time. Good Luck!
Linda

Start by doing what is necessary: then do the possible; and suddenly you are doing the impossible  St Francis of Assisi

Now a retired substitute Teacher in NY, & SC

AA Liberal Studies TESC '08
BA in Natural Science/Mathematics TESC Sept '10
AAS Environmental safety and Security Technology TESC  Dec '12
[-] The following 2 users Like Lindagerr's post:
  • a2jc4life, katelynn
(07-05-2018, 06:08 PM)dfrecore Wrote: I really hate it when people say that a course/exam is SO easy, and they did it in 15 minutes and passed with like 90%!!  Instead, I try to preface what I say with WHY it was easy for me, personally, or whatever, to let people know that it might not be easy for them.  So when people ask "what's the easiest Study.com course?" or "what's the easiest CLEP exam?" I try to reply with "what are you good at?"  For most people, they're going to find a course or two easy, and some not so easy, and some really hard; and it's totally different for everyone which category each course/exam falls into.

Also, I find that some people are really good test-takers, and some aren't.  Also, some have tons of experience, and some don't.  That makes a difference.

So, if I were you, I would probably try again, this time going a bit faster, and not stress over it.  You may have OVER studied and just put way too much emphasis on it, and it backfired on you.  That test should not take 2 1/2 hours.

I completely agree, I personally would never tell somehow how long a course/exam will take them solely based on how I performed at it. I really appreciate you putting it into perspective for me. My mother said pretty much the same thing, giving the example of how I completed Statistics in a week when everyone said it would be extremely difficult because that was their experience of it. I guess some things (Insurance Ethics, in this case) won't come easy to everyone, but everyone has things that will. I'm going to have to accept that this particular topic isn't a strong suit of mine, but I will persevere in spite of it.
I PM'ed you... Don't stress out over it, I would just go at it again after a little break. If you're just starting off at getting alternative credits, you might want to take a read at the Beginners Guide and Wiki. https://www.degreeforum.net/mybb/Thread-...dit--24842
In Progress: Walden MBA | TESU BA Biology & Computer Science
Graduate Certificate: Global Management & Entrepreneurship, ASU (Freebie)

Completed: TESU ASNSM Biology, BSBA (ACBSP Accredited 2017)
Universidad Isabel I: ENEB MBA, Big Data & BI, Digital Marketing & E-Commerce
Certs: 6Sigma/Lean/Scrum, ITIL | Cisco/CompTIA/MTA | Coursera/Edx/Udacity

The Basic Approach | Plans | DegreeForum Community Supported Wiki
~Note~ Read/Review forum posts & Wiki Links to Sample Degree Plans
Degree Planning Advice | New To DegreeForum? How This Area Works

[Image: e7P9EJ4.jpeg]
[-] The following 1 user Likes bjcheung77's post:
  • katelynn
(07-05-2018, 06:19 PM)Lindagerr Wrote: It is alright to be upset, none of us like failure. Sometime it is just the wording of questions or as dfrecore said you may have over thought it.

I like to compete in Trivia games at bars and such I have learned that you should usually go with your first instinct unless you rethink it quickly and KNOW the correct answer. Often when I change my answer I guess wrong.

When I was testing I always over studied and over thought test, I usually did fine but I put way to much stress on myself. I don't remember ever walking out of an exam without a headache.

Study just a little more especially areas you felt least prepared for and then take it one more time. Good Luck!

Linda, I'm the same way when it comes to test taking! I break out in hives and end with a headache every time! *high five*

I definitely switched my answers several times before moving on to the next question. I'll go with my gut this time and hope for the best.
Katelynn, It took me three attempts before i passed it. Just take a break and be consistent with it. I did not think i passed on my third attempt
but i did. The questions will begin to look familiar and should be enough to push you over the top. My final score was 70%.
[-] The following 1 user Likes douknowme40's post:
  • katelynn
For the ethics course, I only studied the review notes.  (That was boring enough to me without reading all the chapters!)  It won't give you all the info you need to answer every question, but it's decent.  I also kept it up during the test and would use the search to help me find info faster.  I didn't know anything about insurance going into the test, and taking the test doesn't make me want to learn any more!  

For me, it was really helpful to slow down and try to understand the question as much as possible.  There were still several questions that made no sense to me, but it helped overall.  I also tried to read through the answers slowly and carefully as well to make sure I was catching as much as I could.  Usually, I could throw out 1-2 answers after that because they just didn't make sense or work well.  I found that many times, there were 2 answers that both seemed legitimate.  Then it would just boil down to - which sounds like the MOST ethical one?  That was helpful for me to just stop and think through which answer seemed like the most right/ethical/fair thing to do.  Those are what got me through this insanely boring and long test.   Big Grin

You can do it!
BALS-Humanities from TESU - June 2019

CLEP - A&I Lit, US History 1, US History 2, West Civ 1, Intro Sociology, American Lit, Humanities, Soc. Sci & History, English Lit
Sophia - Intro to Info Tech, Art History 1, Visual Communications, Managing Conflict, Building Effective Teams
Study - Personal Finance, Comm 120, Math 97, Bus 121, Lib Sci 101, Eng 104, Nutrition 101, Eng 105, His 108, Pol. Sci 102, Earth Sci 104, His 308, Bus 313, His 102, Eng 305, His 105, His 106, His 306, Geometry 101, Bus 324, Com 102
Institutes - Insurance Ethics
TESU - Cornerstone, Music History 2 TECEP, LIB Capstone

Further Credits - Sophia - Conflict Resolution, Enviro Science, Microecon, Intro to Stats, Into to Ethics, Found. of Stats, Ancient Greek Philosophers, Macroecon, Intro to Business, Project Management, Accounting, Art History 2
[-] The following 1 user Likes TexasTink's post:
  • katelynn
I passed it cold like 86%.....don't sweat...it's mostly common sense...

Haha it took me like 20 mins to go from nothing to adding it on my transcript. It was my first ACE course I ever took.
GRADUATE

Master of Business Administration, Robert Cavelier University (2024-2025)

MS Information and Communication Technology (UK IET Accredited) (On Hold)
Master of Theological Studies, Nations University (6 cr)

UNDERGRAD : 184 Credits

BA Computer Science, TESU  '19
BA Liberal Studies, TESU  '19
AS  Natural Science and Mathematics, TESU  '19

StraighterLine (27 Cr)   Shmoop (18 Cr)  Sophia (11 Cr)
TEEX (5 Cr) Aleks (9 Cr)  ED4Credit (3 Cr) CPCU (2 Cr)   Study.com (39 Cr)

TESU (4 cr)
TT B&M (46 Cr)  Nations University  (9 cr)  UoPeople: (3 cr) Penn Foster: (8 cr)  

(07-05-2018, 10:19 PM)armstrongsubero Wrote: I passed it cold like 86%.....don't sweat...it's mostly common sense...

Haha it took me like 20 mins to go from nothing to adding it on my transcript. It was my first ACE course I ever took.

So. Not. Helpful.
TESU BSBA/HR 2018 - WVNCC BOG AAS 2017 - GGU Cert in Mgmt 2000
EXAMS: TECEP Tech Wrtg, Comp II, LA Math, PR, Computers  DSST Computers, Pers Fin  CLEP Mgmt, Mktg
COURSES: TESU Capstone  Study.com Pers Fin, Microecon, Stats  Ed4Credit Acct 2  PF Fin Mgmt  ALEKS Int & Coll Alg  Sophia Proj Mgmt The Institutes - Ins Ethics  Kaplan PLA
[-] The following 7 users Like dfrecore's post:
  • a2jc4life, crotique, gingermama, Ladyplf, Oulton1, tesu-acct-student, tifferbugz

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  Sophia - New Business Ethics Course lumina 14 2,970 10-25-2023, 06:39 AM
Last Post: Sherwood
  PHI-400 Managerial Ethics (Equivalency Only) mog538 0 333 02-22-2023, 09:16 PM
Last Post: mog538
  Sophia - Intro to Ethics ss20ts 25 6,130 09-15-2022, 08:12 PM
Last Post: RhondaG
  The Institutes and Credley a_dblu 4 925 07-26-2021, 12:02 AM
Last Post: bjcheung77
  The Institutes - Ethics 312: Missing Acclaim badge question answered BadBradsBBQ 10 1,971 03-25-2021, 12:29 PM
Last Post: Old Guy
  Need UL Ethics Course Credit mrskitty 11 1,476 09-23-2020, 08:13 PM
Last Post: mrskitty
  SDC UL Computer Science & Management Ethics Course Sequence vanglorious 5 897 08-27-2020, 03:55 PM
Last Post: vanglorious
  The Institutes 22gunsonfire 25 3,421 05-29-2020, 01:10 PM
Last Post: Old Guy
  List of ACE-certified courses available through The Institutes ctcarl 3 995 05-28-2020, 12:11 PM
Last Post: innen_oda
  The Institutes Ethics - 2 courses? cwendy111 10 3,291 03-19-2020, 04:35 PM
Last Post: TheAlternativeBachelor