Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Another weird ProctorU issue
I posted awhile back about how ProctorU's proctor turned off my anti virus during a test. I have taken a few tests with them since then with no problems.

Anyway, I just took a final for TESU today, and during the set up the proctor asks you to put your cell phone where they can see it during the test for some reason. I always tell them I don't have a cell phone with me, because I leave it in the other room, and it's always been fine.

So today for some reason, the proctor didn't like that answer, and basically told me to go in the other room and get my cell phone, bring it back into the room where I was taking the test, and put it where he could see it. I thought that was stupid, and said so, and we ended up having a weird argument where he essentially refused to do my test until I went and got my cell phone and showed it to him, and I asked for another proctor instead. 

After a long-ish wait, finally the original proctor came back and said he'd do the test but he was going to have to let TESU know that I had violated procedures by refusing to put my cell phone where he could see it. I asked "so you're going to tell my college that I didn't have a cell phone in the room with me when I took the test?" and he dropped it finally and I took the test without any further problems.

I *assume* that this will not be a problem and that I will graduate the class just fine, but if they disrupt my final grade over me not having a cell phone in the room with me, you guys and everyone else will hear about it.
Study.com - 177 CR. TESU - 39 CR. Middle Georgia State University - 15 CR. Sonoran Desert Institute - 42 CR. COSC - 6 CR. Excelsior - 6 CR. CLEP - 6 CR. Sophia - 14 CR. TEEX - 2 CR. Shmoop - 18 CR. NFA - 4 CR. The Institutes - 2 CR. FEMA - 20ish

BA in History/English from TESU. 
BA in Communications from TESU. AS in Firearms Technology from SDI.

OMG, what an idiot!

I never put my cellphone where they can see it, because like you, I don't keep it nearby; I put it in another room so it doesn't distract me. I really don't WANT it sitting nearby, even if I put it on DND, it still vibrates when I get a text or alert or whatever.
TESU BSBA/HR 2018 - WVNCC BOG AAS 2017 - GGU Cert in Mgmt 2000
EXAMS: TECEP Tech Wrtg, Comp II, LA Math, PR, Computers  DSST Computers, Pers Fin  CLEP Mgmt, Mktg
COURSES: TESU Capstone  Study.com Pers Fin, Microecon, Stats  Ed4Credit Acct 2  PF Fin Mgmt  ALEKS Int & Coll Alg  Sophia Proj Mgmt The Institutes - Ins Ethics  Kaplan PLA
That is a bizarre one. I'm sure it is just someone being overly rules-bound in this case.

What I want to know is what happens if you don't own a cell phone? I know that sounds crazy, but I know many people who refuse to buy one. They still have landlines too.

If anything comes of it, it sounds like it should be an easy explanation at least. Unless the proctor implies that you may have been hiding a cellphone instead of showing it to them. That could be problematic.

You might want to call ProctorU and speak to a supervisor just to explain what happened and get a clarification.
Working on: Debating whether I want to pursue a doctoral program or maybe another master's degree in 2022-23

Complete:
MBA (IT Management), 2019, Western Governors University
BSBA (Computer Information Systems), 2019, Thomas Edison State University
ASNSM (Computer Science), 2019, Thomas Edison State University

ScholarMatch College & Career Coach
WGU Ambassador
Some people just don't think things through before acting. Your proctor appears to be one of them.
Completed:
BA History & Psychology, Thomas Edison State University, March 2020
ASNSM Mathematics, Thomas Edison State University, March 2020

Up Next:
JD, Cornell Law School, Class of 2024

Link to all credits earned: Link
I've had 2 exams proctored by them. The first asked if I had a phone, I told her it was in another room. Nothing else said.

The second asked about the phone, I told him the same thing. He said it needed to be in the room in case we got disconnected and he had to call me. I don't remember giving them my number...
Up next:  WGU MSCSIA - Early 2023
Dropped:  WGU MSITM - Wasn't my cup of tea
Completed:  WGU BSCSIA (started 10/1/2018, finished 01/11/2019), Pierpont BOG AAS (5/2018)
Journey Thread (MSITM): https://www.degreeforum.net/mybb/Thread-...TM-Journey
Journey Thread (BS):  https://www.degreeforum.net/mybb/Thread-...ersecurity
Degree Spreadsheet (BS):  https://www.degreeforum.net/mybb/attachm...p?aid=2602

I hated dealing with them when I was using SL. Study.com's format is way more efficient.

It honestly took me longer to setup with ProctorU before each exam, then take the actual exams. Often it wouldn't even locate a proctor until 20 mins after my exam slot had begun.
TESU BALS: Awarded June 2019
Credits:
TESU: LIB Capstone 3cr, Cornerstone 1cr 
Aleks: 3cr, Insurance Institute: 2cr NFA: 1cr 
Sophia: 2cr Straighterline: 48cr TEEX: 6cr 
Study.com: 18cr B&M: 77cr
[-] The following 1 user Likes zzzz24's post:
  • teacher2
what in the world

"i don't have a cell phone." would have been my reply just to avoid this ridiculous situation. how stupid of them.
Northwestern California University School of Law
JD Law, 2027 (in progress, currently 2L)

Georgia Tech
MS Cybersecurity (Policy), 2021

Thomas Edison State University
BA Computer Science, 2023
BA Psychology, 2016
AS Business Administration, 2023
Certificate in Operations Management, 2023
Certificate in Computer Information Systems, 2023

Western Governors University
BS IT Security, 2018

Chaffey College
AA Sociology, 2015

Accumulated Credit: Undergrad: 258.50 | Graduate: 32

View all of my credit on my Omni Transcript!
Visit the DegreeForum Community Wiki!
My very last SL course I took actually had the same issue happen. The lady asked if I had a cell phone and I mentioned it's in the other room, she asked me nicely she requires it in the same room if she has to call me back. StraighterLine may most likely already have given our contact info to them already, but I never had to verify with her. I just put the phone behind me and away we went with the exam... most if not all my final proctors were great at ProctorU. I had only one of my courses flagged but that's because they noted there were technical difficulties.
In Progress: Walden MBA | TESU BA Biology & Computer Science
Graduate Certificate: Global Management & Entrepreneurship, ASU (Freebie)

Completed: TESU ASNSM Biology, BSBA (ACBSP Accredited 2017)
Universidad Isabel I: ENEB MBA, Big Data & BI, Digital Marketing & E-Commerce
Certs: 6Sigma/Lean/Scrum, ITIL | Cisco/CompTIA/MTA | Coursera/Edx/Udacity

The Basic Approach | Plans | DegreeForum Community Supported Wiki
~Note~ Read/Review forum posts & Wiki Links to Sample Degree Plans
Degree Planning Advice | New To DegreeForum? How This Area Works

[Image: e7P9EJ4.jpeg]
(12-10-2018, 08:19 PM)zzzz24 Wrote: I hated dealing with them when I was using SL. Study.com's format is way more efficient.

It honestly took me longer to setup with ProctorU before each exam, then take the actual exams. Often it wouldn't even locate a proctor until 20 mins after my exam slot had begun.

I agree.  ProctorU is torture...
TESU BSBA/HR 2018 - WVNCC BOG AAS 2017 - GGU Cert in Mgmt 2000
EXAMS: TECEP Tech Wrtg, Comp II, LA Math, PR, Computers  DSST Computers, Pers Fin  CLEP Mgmt, Mktg
COURSES: TESU Capstone  Study.com Pers Fin, Microecon, Stats  Ed4Credit Acct 2  PF Fin Mgmt  ALEKS Int & Coll Alg  Sophia Proj Mgmt The Institutes - Ins Ethics  Kaplan PLA
RPnow is cheaper and way easier to deal with. Too bad only SdC and OD seem to use them. They should be the standard.
Northwestern California University School of Law
JD Law, 2027 (in progress, currently 2L)

Georgia Tech
MS Cybersecurity (Policy), 2021

Thomas Edison State University
BA Computer Science, 2023
BA Psychology, 2016
AS Business Administration, 2023
Certificate in Operations Management, 2023
Certificate in Computer Information Systems, 2023

Western Governors University
BS IT Security, 2018

Chaffey College
AA Sociology, 2015

Accumulated Credit: Undergrad: 258.50 | Graduate: 32

View all of my credit on my Omni Transcript!
Visit the DegreeForum Community Wiki!
[-] The following 1 user Likes jsd's post:
  • teacher2

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  Sophia English Comp 1 Touchstone Issue arrakis 29 7,278 06-21-2023, 05:05 PM
Last Post: LevelUP
  ProctorU darthweezy 3 725 02-25-2020, 01:39 PM
Last Post: darthweezy
  SDC Proctored Exam Issue Diana321 8 26,932 02-20-2020, 02:02 PM
Last Post: Lacedonia4
  SDC PSI proctor service issue lrck4 6 1,378 01-24-2020, 11:50 PM