Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Natural Sciences or Biology - Possible?
(05-20-2019, 07:43 PM)sanantone Wrote: I took the Biology CLEP. I earned eight credits at one of the community colleges I attended, but TESU only granted six credits. I needed Biology II with lab to complete the ASNSM in Biology, so I took the NMJC course since I couldn't find a standalone lab. At the time, NMJC's course description wasn't clear, but it is now stated on their website that the biology course I took is for non-science majors. TESU didn't care, but most other schools do. If I needed biology I and II for a healthcare or science program, I would, in essence, have to complete Biology II a third time since the CLEP likely wouldn't count for lab credits.

Sad

Great point. Do courses for science majors!

I did the ASNSM with a bunch of biology and comp sci credits because at the time I didn't think I wanted a full biology or comp sci degree. So now I have "used up" some of the credits (due to the 24 new credits rule) and have to do more. So, even though the ASNSM looks like a great option, it could be something you regret later.

[-] The following 1 user Likes Ideas's post:
  • Dan A Million
Quote:Yes, but that's probably not as efficient as getting the TESU degree and follow it up with grad school instead of a second BA.  I realize grad school is "harder" in general, but I didn't find it "so much" harder than my upper level undergrad work- I earned A's in most of my classes, even those at Harvard.

A second BA at TESU is 24 credits I think (someone else might know) so figure 8 upper level new credits vs 30 credits in grad school. 8 classes vs 10 and the cost is about the same. My time and money says 1 fast/cheap BA followed by 1 slow and expensive MS.  Wink

EDIT to add:  and look what I found!?  Wanna be a guinea pig?  Micromasters --> HES Masters
https://www.extension.harvard.edu/academ...am-pathway
Yeah, I did know about the micromasters program actually, pretty interesting - I took some certificate classes through EDX, just for personal interest - and I saw that they offer that through their website... Definitely worth checking out

(05-20-2019, 06:53 PM)sanantone Wrote: TESU and some other schools won't let you earn two related degrees. Earning the BSLS in NSM could ruin your chances of being accepted to an undergraduate program in biology.

My question is...what would you do with a BSLS in NSM? It could potentially be a waste of money. You wouldn't have taken enough science courses in one area to be competent in most life science jobs. You can elect to take more science courses than required, but you could have just done that for a BA/BS in Biology. I've learned that, in some cases, taking cheaper, faster shortcuts end up being more costly and time-consuming in the end.

For example, let's say you took a bunch of ACE credits in science. These ACE courses are cheap and fast, but what if every graduate program you're interested in requires science prerequisites from a regionally accredited school? Or, what if they require labs that you couldn't get with the ACE courses, so you have to go back and retake the classes with labs because you couldn't find standalone labs?

Ok so the BSLS in NSM is definitely a bad plan (i think its a BA actually). Regarding the having to go back and take retake classes thing, it does seem that Biology is quite a sticky situation through TESU...

Regarding all the other replies - thanks for everybody's input! I really appreciate you all helping out a newb like me, it means a lot.
I will take some time to think about this and reconsider.

I just put together a really rough plan for the BA Biology - the cost estimate was around 15k, but I am not sure how many of the classes will actually work or not.

Hopefully this will open in Excel correctly, I made it with LibreOffice Calc.

(05-20-2019, 06:53 PM)sanantone Wrote: For example, let's say you took a bunch of ACE credits in science. These ACE courses are cheap and fast, but what if every graduate program you're interested in requires science prerequisites from a regionally accredited school? Or, what if they require labs that you couldn't get with the ACE courses, so you have to go back and retake the classes with labs because you couldn't find standalone labs?

Ok, so in my plan below I should replace all the CLEPs/Study.com/SL science classes with classes taken directly from a regionally accredited school like APUS or something. Also, I need to make sure that those classes are marked as "for science majors" not for non-science majors... Got it.

Attached Files
.xlsx   BA in Biology.xlsx (Size: 14.06 KB / Downloads: 6)
TESU BSBA Gen Mgmt  sh: 120 (Complete)
Saylor (9): Env Eth, Mor & Pol Phil, Corp Com
OnlineDegree (18): Int Ast, Mod His, Int Psych, Microecon, Mark, Bio
Sophia (6 3): Con Res (1), Teams (1), SS (1), Gr Phil
CLEP (15): Int Soc, Mgmt, Comp (6), Gov't
CSM Learn (3): CSM
Institutes (2): Ethics (2)
TEEX (10 5): CYB101, CYB201, CYB301
Study.com (61 58): W Civ I, W Civ II, Rel 101, Pres Skills, Int Bus, Glob & Int Mgmt, Macroecon, Int to Computers, Fin Acct, Man Acct, Bus Law, Int E-Com, Col Alg, Precalc Alg (4), Int Ent, Princ Fin, SB Fin, SB Mgmt, Dig Mark, W Art His I, Fin Mgmt
TESU (9): SOS-110, Intro to Islam, Capstone
One of the easiest places to find sciences "for science majors" is your community college. If you have big ones in your state, they'll offer them online as well. Very hard to find a million years ago when I did mine (Ocean County College in NJ) but they are everywhere now. I could easily do the entire core at my local CC online or on campus - FOR science majors and at $76/credit.

Also, I'm still not sure that you need a degree in the hard sciences - what aspect of fish/wildlife/game are you looking at? You're talking about significant hoops that you may not even have to jump through.
(05-21-2019, 01:34 PM)cookderosa Wrote: One of the easiest places to find sciences "for science majors" is your community college. If you have big ones in your state, they'll offer them online as well.  Very hard to find a million years ago when I did mine (Ocean County College in NJ) but they are everywhere now. I could easily do the entire core at my local CC online or on campus - FOR science majors and at $76/credit.

Also, I'm still not sure that you need a degree in the hard sciences - what aspect of fish/wildlife/game are you looking at?    You're talking about significant hoops that you may not even have to jump through.
Sustainability and environmental studies programs are for policymakers and activists. The OP mentioned being in the field and surveying. That is wildlife biology.
Graduate of Not VUL or ENEB
MS, MSS and Graduate Cert
AAS, AS, BA, and BS
CLEP
Intro Psych 70, US His I 64, Intro Soc 63, Intro Edu Psych 70, A&I Lit 64, Bio 68, Prin Man 69, Prin Mar 68
DSST
Life Dev Psych 62, Fund Coun 68, Intro Comp 469, Intro Astr 56, Env & Hum 70, HTYH 456, MIS 451, Prin Sup 453, HRM 62, Bus Eth 458
ALEKS
Int Alg, Coll Alg
TEEX
4 credits
TECEP
Fed Inc Tax, Sci of Nutr, Micro, Strat Man, Med Term, Pub Relations
CSU
Sys Analysis & Design, Programming, Cyber
SL
Intro to Comm, Microbio, Acc I
Uexcel
A&P
Davar
Macro, Intro to Fin, Man Acc
[-] The following 1 user Likes sanantone's post:
  • Dan A Million
APU has good concentrations too. Fish and Wildlife Management is one. I think that might help you get into the career you want, vs having a biology degree without concentration. Depending on what kind of career you want.

• Dan A Million
(05-21-2019, 08:20 PM)Ideas Wrote: APU has good concentrations too. Fish and Wildlife Management is one. I think that might help you get into the career you want, vs having a biology degree without concentration. Depending on what kind of career you want.

I came across these jobs when I was on UsaJobs.gov and GovernmentJobs.com. I remember that the federal government wants a certain number of credits in wildlife management or natural resources management. So, if someone goes for a biology degree, then they should take courses related to ecology and zoology. 

This is from a wildlife biologist opening with the federal government. I won't link to the ad because it'll be gone by tomorrow. 

Quote:Must have a degree in biological science that included: At least 9 semester hours in such wildlife subjects as mammalogy, ornithology, animal ecology, wildlife management, or research courses in the field of wildlife biology; AND At least 12 semester hours in zoology in such subjects as general zoology, invertebrate zoology, vertebrate zoology, comparative anatomy, physiology, genetics, ecology, cellular biology, parasitology, entomology, or research courses in such subjects (Excess courses in wildlife biology may be used to meet the zoology requirements where appropriate.); AND At least 9 semester hours in botany or the related plant sciences.
Graduate of Not VUL or ENEB
MS, MSS and Graduate Cert
AAS, AS, BA, and BS
CLEP
Intro Psych 70, US His I 64, Intro Soc 63, Intro Edu Psych 70, A&I Lit 64, Bio 68, Prin Man 69, Prin Mar 68
DSST
Life Dev Psych 62, Fund Coun 68, Intro Comp 469, Intro Astr 56, Env & Hum 70, HTYH 456, MIS 451, Prin Sup 453, HRM 62, Bus Eth 458
ALEKS
Int Alg, Coll Alg
TEEX
4 credits
TECEP
Fed Inc Tax, Sci of Nutr, Micro, Strat Man, Med Term, Pub Relations
CSU
Sys Analysis & Design, Programming, Cyber
SL
Intro to Comm, Microbio, Acc I
Uexcel
A&P
Davar
Macro, Intro to Fin, Man Acc
[-] The following 1 user Likes sanantone's post:
  • Dan A Million
Thanks everyone again for taking the time to provide insights. I have a much clearer idea of my options now.
Yes, a good friend of mine (Env Sci major) is in this field currently working for F&W and says you really need a Bio or Env Sci degree.
I found my local CC system has classes for $107/credit hour.
Once again, to everyone who responded - I appreciate you taking the time. Hopefully this thread will be of benefit to others in the future as well.
Cheers
Good price.

I'd probably try to transfer the max to APU for ES. Seems easier (and thus faster) than Biology and has the concentration.

• Dan A Million
APU is a good option for Environmental Sciences. They allow 90 credits of transfer, but only about 25% transfer for Alternative Credit. There is another option, 90 credits for transfer but they allow those to be alternative credit... dare I say, U of Phoenix has an online BS Environmental Sciences degree. You'll have to take a look at the total cost vs reputation of the school.

APU is 30 credits at $270 = $8100
Let's say 90 credits at local college/university $100 = $9000
Total: $17,100 for all 120 credits

UoP is 30 credits at $398 = $11940 - they sometimes have an offer of taking 3 courses and the 4th one is free.
90 credits from SL ($59)/Study.com ($70) = Let's do 45 of each, $2655 and $3150 = $5805
Total: $17745 for all 120 credits

Now if you go for Logan BS Human Biology, you might be better off because it's not for profit, but it's in another field.
You can transfer in up to 50% of the program.
Your CC Tuition for 60 credits: $100x60 = $6000
Logan University: $200 x 60 (if you have a 3.5 gpa) = $12000
Total: $18,000 for all 120 credits.

Since we're on the topic of Biology, you can recalculate the cost for a TESU BA Biology and see if you can do that.
Mainly use your local college for LL science and local university for the UL courses, the rest use CLEP/MS, ACE/NCCRS.
I think the total shouldn't go past $15K for a TESU BA Biology, you can take everything online as well if need be.
In Progress: Walden MBA | TESU BA Biology & Computer Science
Graduate Certificate: Global Management & Entrepreneurship, ASU (Freebie)

Completed: TESU ASNSM Biology, BSBA (ACBSP Accredited 2017)
Universidad Isabel I: ENEB MBA, Big Data & BI, Digital Marketing & E-Commerce
Certs: 6Sigma/Lean/Scrum, ITIL | Cisco/CompTIA/MTA | Coursera/Edx/Udacity

The Basic Approach | Plans | DegreeForum Community Supported Wiki
~Note~ Read/Review forum posts & Wiki Links to Sample Degree Plans
Degree Planning Advice | New To DegreeForum? How This Area Works

[Image: e7P9EJ4.jpeg]
[-] The following 1 user Likes bjcheung77's post:
  • Dan A Million
(05-22-2019, 07:38 PM)bjcheung77 Wrote: APU is a good option for Environmental Sciences.  They allow 90 credits of transfer, but only about 25% transfer for Alternative Credit.  There is another option, 90 credits for transfer but they allow those to be alternative credit... dare I say, U of Phoenix has an online BS Environmental Sciences degree.  You'll have to take a look at the total cost vs reputation of the school.

APU is 30 credits at $270 = $8100
Let's say 90 credits at local college/university $100 = $9000
Total: $17,100 for all 120 credits

UoP is 30 credits at $398 = $11940 - they sometimes have an offer of taking 3 courses and the 4th one is free.
90 credits from SL ($59)/Study.com ($70) = Let's do 45 of each, $2655 and $3150 = $5805
Total: $17745 for all 120 credits

Now if you go for Logan BS Human Biology, you might be better off because it's not for profit, but it's in another field.
You can transfer in up to 50% of the program.
Your CC Tuition for 60 credits:  $100x60 = $6000
Logan University: $200 x 60 (if you have a 3.5 gpa) = $12000
Total: $18,000 for all 120 credits.

Since we're on the topic of Biology, you can recalculate the cost for a TESU BA Biology and see if you can do that.
Mainly use your local college for LL science and local university for the UL courses, the rest use CLEP/MS, ACE/NCCRS.
I think the total shouldn't go past $15K for a TESU BA Biology, you can take everything online as well if need be.

I think APU allows 60cr of Alternative Credit: https://www.apu.apus.edu/admissions/tran...redit.html

Understanding Transfer Credit
Every accredited university has a requirement called “residency” that governs how many credits can be transferred toward a degree at the student's ‘home’ university. At APU, our transfer credit limits are:
TESU BSBA/HR 2018 - WVNCC BOG AAS 2017 - GGU Cert in Mgmt 2000
EXAMS: TECEP Tech Wrtg, Comp II, LA Math, PR, Computers  DSST Computers, Pers Fin  CLEP Mgmt, Mktg
COURSES: TESU Capstone  Study.com Pers Fin, Microecon, Stats  Ed4Credit Acct 2  PF Fin Mgmt  ALEKS Int & Coll Alg  Sophia Proj Mgmt The Institutes - Ins Ethics  Kaplan PLA
[-] The following 1 user Likes dfrecore's post:
  • Dan A Million

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  International University of Applied Sciences (IU) acquires University of Fredericton. bjcheung77 0 560 07-01-2023, 01:39 AM
Last Post: bjcheung77
  IU Applied Sciences - 50% off tuition until July 14 (online programs) bjcheung77 0 1,132 06-30-2022, 01:50 AM
Last Post: bjcheung77
  Looking for an RA Online Biology II w Lab Fountains of Roses 10 1,630 02-06-2021, 11:42 AM
Last Post: dfrecore
  Cheap and Fast Online Biology Degrees mgmar22 2 1,679 01-09-2021, 07:53 AM
Last Post: elenlushk
  Is the Straighterline Biology Lab Kit Reusalble or Consumable? JaronB34 1 1,284 10-25-2020, 07:08 PM
Last Post: Lydclrk
  What to do with my post-bacc sciences and a word about them (med school).. MSK9 32 6,836 09-09-2019, 07:53 AM
Last Post: cookderosa
  Biology/Natural Sciences major—transferring into the Big 3 wow 10 2,007 09-08-2019, 12:45 PM
Last Post: wow
  Best for Federal Biology jobs? bethanyneedsajob 8 1,766 08-03-2019, 07:06 PM
Last Post: bethanyneedsajob
  How should I study for the biology CLEP? trus 7 2,586 06-05-2019, 08:25 AM
Last Post: cookderosa
  Social Sciences and History CLEP Aubs 10 2,792 05-28-2019, 06:21 PM
Last Post: TexasTink