Thread Rating:
  • 2 Vote(s) - 5 Average
UMPI YourPace ACE (Sophia) Transcript Results
[quote="ss20ts" pid='324916'

That would be 6 terms so an entire year - literally. You'd have to go very sloooooowly to complete 10 classes in 6 terms. And remember, you don't have to take classes anywhere else. You can take everything Sophia offers and transfer it in. Right now that's $149 for an entire year.
[/quote]
Yep, I'm just saying that even if you go at a snail's pace, a UMPI degree can still be affordable in comparison to other degrees.
In progress:
TESU - BA Computer Science; BSBA CIS; ASNSM Math & CS; ASBA

Completed:
Pierpont - AAS BOG
Sophia (so many), The Institutes (old), Study.com (5 courses)
ASU: Human Origins, Astronomy, Intro Health & Wellness, Western Civilization, Computer Appls & Info Technology, Intro Programming
Strayer: CIS175, CIS111, WRK100, MAT210
(12-17-2020, 03:48 PM)innen_oda Wrote: [quote='dfrecore' pid='324904' dateline='1608236957']
I'm kind of wondering why some people are pushing the competency-based thing so hard lately.  I honestly don't understand it.  I mean, I definitely understand the cost-factor; but especially for newbies, that's not a great thing to tell them right off the bat.  People need to understand the downside of it too, and all anyone says are the upsides.  If a new person to the forum hasn't proven to be able to finish even 1 course quickly, how in the world can you in good conscience encourage someone to sign up for CB??

Competency-based programmes can also be a bit deceptive. Not in an intentional way, but often your first term or two you've got all the gusto and enthusiasm, AND your course load will likely be the easier courses. After that . . . well, I prefer to wait until people have actually completed their competency programme before putting much stock in recommendations.
[/quote]

Not my experience. My first term was all UL courses. I completed 4 courses in my first term over the summer where I went out almost every night and every weekend. I'm in my second term and I completed 8 courses in 7 weeks. The term is 8 weeks long. This term I had 2 gen ed courses. I graduate in March. I would have graduated this month, but I added 2 more minors this term. I will have completed 16 courses in 3 terms when I'm done. I won't even take all 8 weeks to complete my remaining courses when we go back in January. I plan on taking 4 weeks - max.  

(12-17-2020, 03:51 PM)rachel83az Wrote: [quote="ss20ts" pid='324916'

That would be 6 terms so an entire year - literally. You'd have to go very sloooooowly to complete 10 classes in 6 terms. And remember, you don't have to take classes anywhere else. You can take everything Sophia offers and transfer it in. Right now that's $149 for an entire year.
Yep, I'm just saying that even if you go at a snail's pace, a UMPI degree can still be affordable in comparison to other degrees.
[/quote]

Oh I agree! I definitely think people need to really weigh all of their options and not forget how much they're spending on courses they take through all providers. Many people forget that aspect and only focus on the fees at TESU/EC/COSC.
(12-17-2020, 03:48 PM)innen_oda Wrote: Competency-based programmes can also be a bit deceptive. Not in an intentional way, but often your first term or two you've got all the gusto and enthusiasm, AND your course load will likely be the easier courses. After that . . . well, I prefer to wait until people have actually completed their competency programme before putting much stock in recommendations.

Yes, definitely. But a lot of those same people would stop doing their ACE courses or their traditional courses too. I do think ACE is easier to maintain enthusiasm for.

(12-17-2020, 03:59 PM)Ideas Wrote: But a lot of those same people would stop doing their ACE courses or their traditional courses too.

That's exactly it though. If you ebb and flow - as most humans do - ACE courses can ebb and flow with you. Competency courses such as WGU and UMPI are predicated on that consistent, on-going pacing. If you drop down to one course a term, suddenly that cost saving is obliterated.
But if you only need to do 30 credits at UMPI, that's 10 courses. If you do 3+3+4 over the course of 6 months, that's $4200. Possibly less than even COSC. You'd have to only do 2 courses a term for it to start to cost more than TESU.
In progress:

Completed:
Pierpont - AAS BOG
ASU: Human Origins, Astronomy, Intro Health & Wellness, Western Civilization, Computer Appls & Info Technology, Intro Programming
(12-17-2020, 04:21 PM)innen_oda Wrote:
(12-17-2020, 03:59 PM)Ideas Wrote: But a lot of those same people would stop doing their ACE courses or their traditional courses too.

That's exactly it though. If you ebb and flow - as most humans do - ACE courses can ebb and flow with you. Competency courses such as WGU and UMPI are predicated on that consistent, on-going pacing. If you drop down to one course a term, suddenly that cost saving is obliterated.

True, and it's less flexible for sure. However, I feel that people can signup for a competency term, then ebb and flow within it. Maybe work really hard at the start of the term because of having motivation. Take a week or more off. Work hard. Another break. Then work hard again. And it can work around other things in life. Sometimes you can do 2 terms in a row and sometimes you can take time off between.

It seems the average UMPI person is doing around 4ish classes a term. I am hoping to do around 6.

If you do all of Sophia for that $149 a year you will get 75% of your requirements/courses done and need to take 15 classes.

5 Classes Per Term = 3 Terms = $4200
4 Classes Per Term = 4 Terms = $5600
3 Classes Per Term = 5 Terms = $7000

The 4/5 term area is right within the price range of 114 credits at TESU for example. The 4 terms is around COSC cost.

UMPI is expanding and is very responsive to ideas/suggestions. I think they are on the verge of being a major contender to the big 3.
[-] The following 2 users Like ashkir's post:
  • Pikachu, rachel83az
The big issue for me with UMPI is a foreign language course. It can take some time to get it done if u have 0 knowledge
(12-17-2020, 05:49 PM)Cofffeee Wrote: The big issue for me with UMPI is a foreign language course. It can take some time to get it done if u have 0 knowledge

The foreign language course is only required for History. The business majors didn't require it for me. Smile

Plus everything at UMPI is open book
[-] The following 2 users Like ashkir's post:
  • Pikachu, rachel83az
(12-17-2020, 05:49 PM)Cofffeee Wrote: The big issue for me with UMPI is a foreign language course. It can take some time to get it done if u have 0 knowledge

Since they accept ACE, you could probably transfer in at least Spanish from SDC.
In progress:

Completed:
Pierpont - AAS BOG

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  New considering UMPI but…. manyoptions4me 48 4,414 1 hour ago
Last Post: bjcheung77
Rainbow GEC Critical & Creative Thinking Learning Objective D - Sophia equivalents? mythomagician 2 75 Yesterday, 07:59 PM
  choosing between UMPI BBA in management&leadership vs project management whereismyramen 6 164 03-26-2024, 04:13 PM
  What is considered FT at UMPI YourPace for the Pell Grant? RachelB 3 156 03-26-2024, 05:50 AM
  Help with UMPI admissions requirement Throwmeaway1590 2 212 03-25-2024, 08:24 PM
  Sophia's Human biology and lab did not meet UMPi's BIO 105 HappyPeanut 9 845 03-22-2024, 07:53 PM
Last Post: lifted567
  UMPI BLS Minor Business theea 5 262 03-20-2024, 02:41 PM
  UMPI Class Review Master Thread RbxFunRocks 95 56,414 03-20-2024, 03:37 AM
Last Post: theea
  HELP! SDC to UMPI transfer jrock87 3 198 03-16-2024, 12:14 AM
Last Post: jrock87
  Which Sophia Classes Meet These Requirements? gc82 2 197 03-15-2024, 10:15 AM