Thread Rating:
  • 5 Vote(s) - 4 Average
UMPI
(05-07-2021, 01:13 PM)aleksa Wrote: Thank you Rachel. I would probably do French 1 with CLEP if I go for UMPI. Good suggestion on Public Speaking, appreciated. I wonder if I could do science with a lab by using TEL and transcribing it at McMurry. It seems that McMurry is only TEL partner where you don't have to buy lab. I might save $67 this way while working on my 24 RA credits requirement. Has anyone tried this?

I'm unsure why you'd want a science w/o lab when you need a science WITH lab?
TESU BSBA/HR 2018 - WVNCC BOG AAS 2017 - GGU Cert in Mgmt 2000
EXAMS: TECEP Tech Wrtg, Comp II, LA Math, PR, Computers  DSST Computers, Pers Fin  CLEP Mgmt, Mktg
COURSES: TESU Capstone  Study.com Pers Fin, Microecon, Stats  Ed4Credit Acct 2  PF Fin Mgmt  ALEKS Int & Coll Alg  Sophia Proj Mgmt The Institutes - Ins Ethics  Kaplan PLA
(05-08-2021, 10:44 AM)dfrecore Wrote:
(05-07-2021, 01:13 PM)aleksa Wrote: Thank you Rachel. I would probably do French 1 with CLEP if I go for UMPI. Good suggestion on Public Speaking, appreciated. I wonder if I could do science with a lab by using TEL and transcribing it at McMurry. It seems that McMurry is only TEL partner where you don't have to buy lab. I might save $67 this way while working on my 24 RA credits requirement. Has anyone tried this?

I'm unsure why you'd want a science w/o lab when you need a science WITH lab?

Yeah that doesn't make any sense. Environmental Science and Human Biology on Sophia transfer for the non-lab science requirements at UMPI. The lab science is the one people struggle to find. They can do the Study.com course I suggested above or the course at UMPI but ashkir took it and there were a number of issues as it was a mix of 2 versions of the course together. UMPI is working on correcting the course.
(05-08-2021, 10:44 AM)dfrecore Wrote: I'm unsure why you'd want a science w/o lab when you need a science WITH lab?

Because McMurry seems to give you the lab for free when you buy just the class.

Compare:

McMurry University Wrote:BIO 1303 Introduction to Biology            - 4 -   BIOL 1401 Principles of Biology
BIO 1311 Introduction to Biology Lab      - 0 -   BIOL 1401 LAB for Principles of Biology (included in lecture)

With:
MACU Wrote:BIO 1303 Introduction to Biology           - 3 -     NATS 1013 General Biology
BIO 1311 Introduction to Biology Lab     - 1 -     NATS 1011 General Biology Lab
In progress:
TESU - BA Computer Science; BSBA CIS; ASNSM Math & CS; ASBA

Completed:
Pierpont - AAS BOG
Sophia (so many), The Institutes (old), Study.com (5 courses)
ASU: Human Origins, Astronomy, Intro Health & Wellness, Western Civilization, Computer Appls & Info Technology, Intro Programming
Strayer: CIS175, CIS111, WRK100, MAT210
Exactly my point Rachel. It seems only McMurry offerts 4cr without having to pay additional $67 while hopefully counting for a Bio with Lab at UMPI. Thanks for suggestions ss20ts and dfrecore I might go with SDC just to be safe Smile
(05-08-2021, 11:39 AM)aleksa Wrote: Exactly my point Rachel. It seems only McMurry offerts 4cr without having to pay additional $67 while hopefully counting for a Bio with Lab at UMPI. Thanks for suggestions ss20ts and dfrecore I might go with SDC just to be safe Smile

From what I've seen through TEL partners, you still have to pay the $67 for the lab - what it means is that you actually cannot take the course as a lecture only - you HAVE to take it as a 4cr lecture with lab course.  I know for certain that's the case with the others, I spoke with TEL about some of them (prior to McMurry).  So I think the written equivalency info is just kind of wonky - there is no lab included in the lecture (my daughter is taking Bio, there's definitely no lab).
TESU BSBA/HR 2018 - WVNCC BOG AAS 2017 - GGU Cert in Mgmt 2000
EXAMS: TECEP Tech Wrtg, Comp II, LA Math, PR, Computers  DSST Computers, Pers Fin  CLEP Mgmt, Mktg
COURSES: TESU Capstone  Study.com Pers Fin, Microecon, Stats  Ed4Credit Acct 2  PF Fin Mgmt  ALEKS Int & Coll Alg  Sophia Proj Mgmt The Institutes - Ins Ethics  Kaplan PLA
(05-08-2021, 03:53 PM)dfrecore Wrote:
(05-08-2021, 11:39 AM)aleksa Wrote: Exactly my point Rachel. It seems only McMurry offerts 4cr without having to pay additional $67 while hopefully counting for a Bio with Lab at UMPI. Thanks for suggestions ss20ts and dfrecore I might go with SDC just to be safe Smile

From what I've seen through TEL partners, you still have to pay the $67 for the lab - what it means is that you actually cannot take the course as a lecture only - you HAVE to take it as a 4cr lecture with lab course.  I know for certain that's the case with the others, I spoke with TEL about some of them (prior to McMurry).  So I think the written equivalency info is just kind of wonky - there is no lab included in the lecture (my daughter is taking Bio, there's definitely no lab).

It might be the case that equivalency info is wrong. I've read on this forum's wiki that you can use York partner for Quantitative Analysis I and get 5 credits, but it seems to be fixed now. Probably someone at TEL made a typo. I'm probably not going to spend $267 to test it out ( I don't have that much money).
ss20ts,

Congrats! Do you mind sharing what the diploma looks like?
Composition Modular- 52 (3 cr)
Analyzing & Interpreting Literature 52 (6 cr)
College Composition- 50 (6 cr)
(09-17-2020, 11:15 AM)ss20ts Wrote:
(09-17-2020, 10:43 AM)a4tunatemom Wrote:
(09-16-2020, 09:19 PM)ss20ts Wrote: I have submitted my first paper to UMPI. Something nice they do is allow you to submit the paper as a draft and get feedback on it. Then you make your revisions and submit the final paper. Your entire grade for the course is based on this paper. If you fail the paper, you fail the course. If you get a 95, then you get an A in the course. So it's nice they give you feedback and let you know if you're on the right path and what you need to improve upon. I'll report back after my draft comes back. I'm working on my second class and 2 Sophia classes at the same time. Can't wait to finish English Comp II and Stats at Sophia so I can just focus on UMPI.

Will you please let me know how long the papers are expected to be?

The paper length varies by class. Every class has a very different final assessment. So far the lengths for my classes are 11-16 pages and 15-20 pages. I have another class with a project as the final assessment. The project consists of a 2 page executive summary, an ERD model, an Access database, a series of SQL queries, and reports. This is the only paper you write for the entire class. Your final grade is the grade you receive on the final assessment. There aren't many classes which have a final exam. You must receive an 80 or higher on the final assessment to pass the class. If you fail an exam, you can take it over, but I think you need to talk to your advisor or coach first. I'm not sure what happens if you fail the paper/project since you get to submit it as a rough draft first.
Hello do you have a rubric for the papers or projects ?
People are commenting on this thread and I can't see them. Weird!
(07-05-2021, 01:28 PM)ss20ts Wrote: People are commenting on this thread and I can't see them. Weird!

Probably because of deleted posts in the thread.
In progress:
TESU - BA Computer Science; BSBA CIS; ASNSM Math & CS; ASBA

Completed:
Pierpont - AAS BOG
Sophia (so many), The Institutes (old), Study.com (5 courses)
ASU: Human Origins, Astronomy, Intro Health & Wellness, Western Civilization, Computer Appls & Info Technology, Intro Programming
Strayer: CIS175, CIS111, WRK100, MAT210

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  New considering UMPI but…. manyoptions4me 48 4,477 Yesterday, 03:23 PM
Last Post: bjcheung77
  choosing between UMPI BBA in management&leadership vs project management whereismyramen 6 179 03-26-2024, 04:13 PM
  What is considered FT at UMPI YourPace for the Pell Grant? RachelB 3 172 03-26-2024, 05:50 AM
  Help with UMPI admissions requirement Throwmeaway1590 2 223 03-25-2024, 08:24 PM
  Sophia's Human biology and lab did not meet UMPi's BIO 105 HappyPeanut 9 856 03-22-2024, 07:53 PM
Last Post: lifted567
  UMPI BLS Minor Business theea 5 272 03-20-2024, 02:41 PM
  UMPI Class Review Master Thread RbxFunRocks 95 56,509 03-20-2024, 03:37 AM
Last Post: theea
  HELP! SDC to UMPI transfer jrock87 3 202 03-16-2024, 12:14 AM
Last Post: jrock87
  UL Courses Outside of UMPI - Fast CCCollege 7 945 03-11-2024, 10:46 AM
  AI in UMPI him22 16 1,256 03-09-2024, 04:41 PM
Last Post: Ares