Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
What's the best way to get an internship while testing out?
Hey guys I'm currently taking CBE's to transfer to TESC for their computer science degree, how should I go about getting an internship? Should I enrolled in TESC once I have 90 credits completed so I can show companies I'm a student? Most companies want credits to awarded for internships, does TESC award credits for internships? Sorry for all the questions but I couldn't find the answering reading through the forums. Thanks in advance for reading.
(01-27-2018, 01:28 AM)xdrelx Wrote: Hey guys I'm currently taking CBE's to transfer to TESC for their computer science degree, how should I go about getting an internship? Should I enrolled in TESC once I have 90 credits completed so I can show companies I'm a student? Most companies want credits to awarded for internships, does TESC award credits for internships? Sorry for all the questions but I couldn't find the answering reading through the forums. Thanks in advance for reading.

If you're strictly using CBE, you're not yet a "student" so you would need to enroll somewhere. I've never heard of TESU awarding credit for internships - PLAs are an option though.
Well I might have to take a couple of courses. So my plan was to enrolled with 90 credits since that's when your consider a senior in college. Or is it better to enrolled as a junior to get more internships done?
Similar question in this thread: https://www.degreeforum.net/mybb/Thread-...SU-student

Check with your friends and family specifically those who work for bigger companies or in the field. They may know of opportunities or know people to ask. My first professional experience was a summer job in a clinical lab. I was a chemistry major at the time and my mother worked in a different department in the hospital. It wasn't for credit, but it gave me some experience in the field. My official internship was at my colleges helpdesk after some friends recommended me for a position and I worked there for two terms.
TESU - BSBA: CIS - Dec '17

TECEP Eng Comp I, Marriage and Family, Strategic Management, Networking, Computer Concepts, Liberal Math, Tech Writing, Managerial Accounting DSST MIS, Cybersecurity Study.com Macroeconomics COSC Cornerstone, Software Engineering Straighterline Business Ethics

Next:
  Related classes at local CC and various Cybersecurity certifications.

Old username:  ajs1976
If it were me, I would definitely start internships in junior year. Enrolling at TESU is pretty inexpensive and easy. Unlike most schools where you would have to take a 15-16 week class every semester.

Depending on the company, internships may only be offered to students at schools they recruit from. Also, the point of internships is really to give companies a low-risk feel for potential future hires, and students a bit of experience during the summer while they are between academic years. Considering non-traditional education generally runs year-round and serves a very different purpose to regular colleges, I think maybe you should consider whether an internship is the most appropriate thing to pursue in the first place. If you're a career changer, I think it'd be easier to either try to find an entry-level full-time position in your field and finish up your degree part-time or just finish as fast as possible and try to get some part-time experience on the side through volunteering, informal internships or freelancing before graduation.
CPA (WA), CFA Level III Candidate

Currently pursuing: ALM, Data Science - Harvard University, Cambridge, MA (12/48, on hold for CFA/life commitments)
MBA, Finance/Accounting - Indiana University, Bloomington, IN, 2015
BSBA, General Management - Thomas Edison State College, Trenton, NJ, 2012

Definitely apply and become a student. There's no real downside to doing so at TESU. Meanwhile try applying to internship opportunities. I have no idea whether you will get one or not, but you can at least present yourself as a bona fide student. Rather than worry about the junior or senior thing, I think they will be more interested in what CS courses you've completed and when you expect to graduate.
NanoDegree: Intro to Self-Driving Cars (2019)
Coursera: Stanford Machine Learning (2019)
TESU: BA in Comp Sci (2016)
TECEP:Env Ethics (2015); TESU PLA:Software Eng, Computer Arch, C++, Advanced C++, Data Struct (2015); TESU Courses:Capstone, Database Mngmnt Sys, Op Sys, Artificial Intel, Discrete Math, Intro to Portfolio Dev, Intro PLA (2014-16); DSST:Anthro, Pers Fin, Astronomy (2014); CLEP:Intro to Soc (2014); Saylor.org:Intro to Computers (2014); CC: 69 units (1980-88)

PLA Tips Thread - TESU: What is in a Portfolio?
Read somewhere that this program has had something like 450 interns since it started, from all dif degrees, worth a look... http://www.braatheenterprises.com/internships/
BSBA Accounting at TESU - 121/121
Graduated June 2018!
https://careers.fema.gov/pathways-intern...grads-pmfs

STUDENT VOLUNTEER EMPLOYMENT PROGRAM

The Student Volunteer Employment Program hires students to work at FEMA as volunteers (unpaid) for valuable experience directly related to their academic field of study. Students may receive educational credit for their internship. Please email fema-pathways@fema.dhs.gov for more information.
Non-Traditional Undergraduate College Credits (634 SH): *FTCC Noncourse Credits (156 SH) *DSST (78 SH) *CPL (64 SH) *JST Military/ACE (48 SH) *CBA (44 SH) *CLEP (42 SH) *FEMA IS (40 SH) *FEMA EM (38 SH) *ECE/UExcel (30 SH) *PLA Portfolio (28 SH) *EMI/ACE (19 SH) *TEEX/ACE (16 SH) *CWE (11 SH) *NFA/ACE (10 SH) *Kaplan/ACE (3 SH) *CPC (2 SH) *AICP/ACE (2 SH) *Sophia/ACE (2 SH) and *FRTI-UM/ACE (1 SH).
Non-Traditional Graduate College Credits (14 SH): AMU (6 SH); NFHS (5 SH); and JSU (3 SH).

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  COSC gen ed classes, from SL or credit by testing pluggingalong 10 2,593 05-14-2018, 02:00 PM
Last Post: randomatom
  Least Math/Most Testing burbuja0512 13 2,515 02-09-2018, 02:58 PM
Last Post: burbuja0512
  Getting an internship as a TESU student Meika 6 2,017 10-21-2017, 11:11 PM
Last Post: keepsingin
  Needing Updated Computer Science Degree Testing Plan for TESU vetvso 7 2,369 06-08-2017, 07:30 PM
Last Post: SolarKat
  testing out of Excelsior capstone clep3705 2 1,104 02-14-2017, 08:24 PM
Last Post: Life Long Learning
  New to CLEP, testing out, etc -- Need help on Degree Plan for COSC --- THANK YOU! jsch 36 3,338 01-17-2017, 12:37 PM
Last Post: davewill
  Per Credit Tuition or Comprehensive plan for testing out xdrelx 2 869 12-27-2016, 11:59 AM
Last Post: dfrecore
  Ready to get a BSBA in Operations Management by testing out ! xdrelx 2 905 12-12-2016, 03:35 PM
  TECEP Testing - Should I register as a non-matriculated student? Or just apply? Likiro 2 766 12-07-2016, 07:25 PM
  Getting VOC Rehab to pay for testing out of degree vetvso 1 700 10-10-2016, 03:47 AM
Last Post: SweetSecret