Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
  • 1
  • 2
  • 3
  • 4
  • 5
Addressing Concerns of Out-of-State Tuition
#15
(08-26-2018, 06:33 PM)katelynn Wrote: ...

Also, a little bit of advice for your educational journey. Their primary concern probably isn't the money, even though it appears that way to you. I don't know how old you are, but after reaching my 20s I quickly realized that parents just want to know you're sticking with something, anything. It helps them sleep better. Once they see you plugging away at these courses and racking up the credits, they'll feel so much more comfortable about it. This means you might have to work a little harder in the first couple of months. Every day I find something to tell my parents about the progress I made that day. "Hey mom, just sent in my persuasive essay. Now I'm reviewing the guidelines for my next paper." or "Just finished a quiz, I feel really good about it. I estimate I'll be able to take the next one by Tuesday." ANYTHING that shows them you're good at the self-paced route and not using it to lollygag around. As soon as they see you getting stagnant, they'll get concerned again. 

If you ever just need support or even an accountability partner, shoot me a message and I'll be happy to help. Smile

This may be the best advice you'll get. Don't try too hard to convince them up front. You can earn enough money to start racking up credits without their buy in. Just start doing it, and they'll soon realize you're succeeding, and will be thrilled to help.
NanoDegree: Intro to Self-Driving Cars (2019)
Coursera: Stanford Machine Learning (2019)
TESU: BA in Comp Sci (2016)
TECEP:Env Ethics (2015); TESU PLA:Software Eng, Computer Arch, C++, Advanced C++, Data Struct (2015); TESU Courses:Capstone, Database Mngmnt Sys, Op Sys, Artificial Intel, Discrete Math, Intro to Portfolio Dev, Intro PLA (2014-16); DSST:Anthro, Pers Fin, Astronomy (2014); CLEP:Intro to Soc (2014); Saylor.org:Intro to Computers (2014); CC: 69 units (1980-88)

PLA Tips Thread - TESU: What is in a Portfolio?
[-] The following 1 user Likes davewill's post:
  • dfrecore


Messages In This Thread
RE: Addressing Concerns of Out-of-State Tuition - by davewill - 08-27-2018, 12:54 AM

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  Thomas Edison State College Upper level Accounting Credit - HELP! DeterminedStudent 28 11,467 04-19-2018, 07:55 AM
Last Post: Yenisei
  The highest paid graduates by state (Big 3 included) Life Long Learning 3 3,541 04-05-2018, 02:47 PM
Last Post: burbuja0512
  TESU - Study.com Tuition Discount mrshill818 27 13,113 02-26-2018, 12:24 PM
Last Post: dfrecore
  Thomas Edison State University Selects New President jsd 3 3,495 12-20-2017, 12:52 PM
Last Post: davewill
  Transfering to a state university question(what's the best way to do it!) Yung Bukket 1 2,006 07-03-2017, 01:21 PM
Last Post: CM1999
  Thomas Edison State College associate degree or bachelors? Sdotmeek 11 8,571 02-06-2017, 07:55 PM
Last Post: cookderosa
  Tuition Clarification Needed for TESU riedel63 8 3,303 01-13-2017, 04:53 PM
Last Post: swalke321
  Per Credit Tuition or Comprehensive plan for testing out xdrelx 2 1,974 12-27-2016, 11:59 AM
Last Post: dfrecore
  Has anyone completed a Psychology degree with Charter oak state college? desireelws50 2 2,908 12-26-2016, 01:54 PM
Last Post: Kjnova
  Charter Oak State College - New Degree in B.S. Business Administration KittenMittens 90 23,736 12-24-2016, 05:18 PM
Last Post: Kjnova

Forum Jump:


Users browsing this thread: 1 Guest(s)