Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Addressing Concerns of Out-of-State Tuition
I want to get my college degree from Thomas Edison State University and finish college as quickly as possible. My mom is objecting to this decision because Thomas Edison State University is out-of-state and we don't live in New Jersey so I will have to pay out-of-state. She is wrong about this because I only will have to pay for the capstone and for the application fee, graduation fee, and the residency waiver fee. All of the rest of the money will not even have to come from the college fund and it would all go to the very cheap or in some cases free exams I will need to take. In fact, I've already taken 4 CLEP exams that will give me 18 credits for a degree at TESU. I looked at a BSBA in finance degree plan as an example and found that it would only cost a total of $7,000. That is far less money than what I would pay for at a state school in my state and is very fast! My parents saved up $15,000 dollars and these degrees are under $10,000. 

To everyone here on Degree Forum, I need your help to mathematically prove to my mom that I can get a bachelor's degree from Thomas Edison State University and that I can get it in less than 1 year and a little as just a few months! Please help me!
[-] The following 1 user Likes UnbreakablyDetermined's post:
  • Nightmoves5
Hi UnbreakablyDetermined,

Great choice! Check out Modern States, which provides free CLEP vouchers and even reimburses you for the testing fees, they are basically a free CLEP prep course provider that issues a free voucher once you complete a CLEP prep course with them. You can complete the first year of college for free using them and transfer everything in to TESU.

Your mom will surely not object to that ;-)

Welcome on board! Strong username, btw!
The residence waiver is basically the same thing as out of state tuition or a fee for not taking all your classes at the university. It seems you already know the facts and numbers. All of this information is available on the TESU website as well. I'm not clear on what information we can share that will help.
Amy
Goal: BA in English at TESU
Completed: 78 B&M credits plus:
Institutes: Ethics
Study.com: Personal Finance, History of the Vietnam War, English Comp I, Intro World Religions, Public Speaking, Intro to Humanities
Shmoop: Bible as Literature, Shakespeare's Plays, Women's Lit, Modernist Lit, Holocaust Lit
TECEP: Technical Writing
(08-26-2018, 02:23 PM)originalamyj Wrote: The residence waiver is basically the same thing as out of state tuition or a fee for not taking all your classes at the university. It seems you already know the facts and numbers. All of this information is available on the TESU website as well. I'm not clear on what information we can share that will help.

We can provide guidance and pool our knowledge
[-] The following 1 user Likes Nightmoves5's post:
  • GoodYellowDogs
They're just applying their expectations to the situation. Make up a spreadsheet that shows where every course comes from and what it costs so that you have a final number that includes everything. Then it will be clear to them how it works.
NanoDegree: Intro to Self-Driving Cars (2019)
Coursera: Stanford Machine Learning (2019)
TESU: BA in Comp Sci (2016)
TECEP:Env Ethics (2015); TESU PLA:Software Eng, Computer Arch, C++, Advanced C++, Data Struct (2015); TESU Courses:Capstone, Database Mngmnt Sys, Op Sys, Artificial Intel, Discrete Math, Intro to Portfolio Dev, Intro PLA (2014-16); DSST:Anthro, Pers Fin, Astronomy (2014); CLEP:Intro to Soc (2014); Saylor.org:Intro to Computers (2014); CC: 69 units (1980-88)

PLA Tips Thread - TESU: What is in a Portfolio?
(08-26-2018, 02:23 PM)originalamyj Wrote: The residence waiver is basically the same thing as out of state tuition or a fee for not taking all your classes at the university. It seems you already know the facts and numbers. All of this information is available on the TESU website as well. I'm not clear on what information we can share that will help.

Well could you guys help me make a degree plan and spreadsheet for a complete TESU B.A. in History degree as well as how much it tall costs in total?
If you take a course or two with Study.com (which is likely) you won't even have to pay out of state rates for the few courses (minimum cornerstone and capstone) you will need to take with TESU.  The current tuition discount with the Study.com is equal to the in-state tuition.  I agree that a formal and detailed spreadsheet, planned out is the best place to start - makes it concrete.
Amberton University
- MS Human Relations and Business - 2022
Thomas Edison State University (TESU)
- BSBA General Management - 2018
- ASNSM Computer Science -2018

(08-26-2018, 03:11 PM)allvia Wrote: If you take a course or two with Study.com (which is likely) you won't even have to pay out of state rates for the few courses (minimum cornerstone and capstone) you will need to take with TESU.  The current tuition discount with the Study.com is equal to the in-state tuition.  I agree that a formal and detailed spreadsheet, planned out is the best place to start - makes it concrete.

Can you help me with the spreadsheet and degree plan?
(08-26-2018, 03:25 PM)UnbreakablyDetermined Wrote:
(08-26-2018, 03:11 PM)allvia Wrote: If you take a course or two with Study.com (which is likely) you won't even have to pay out of state rates for the few courses (minimum cornerstone and capstone) you will need to take with TESU.  The current tuition discount with the Study.com is equal to the in-state tuition.  I agree that a formal and detailed spreadsheet, planned out is the best place to start - makes it concrete.

Can you help me with the spreadsheet and degree plan?

dfrecore just posted a PDF spreadsheet outline for the TESU BSBA in Finance that would definetly be the place to start.  Take what she has in the PDF and create your own spreadsheet. Here is the link to the post:  https://www.degreeforum.net/mybb/Thread-...#pid267863
Amberton University
- MS Human Relations and Business - 2022
Thomas Edison State University (TESU)
- BSBA General Management - 2018
- ASNSM Computer Science -2018

[-] The following 1 user Likes allvia's post:
  • Kelly Green
You're definitely on the right track with the degree plan and showing your parents the numbers. 15 grand is more than enough for a TESU degree. On top of that, you're even willing to CLEP courses, which you can get free vouchers for. You'll be spending a lot less than I will, which is already low in cost. 

Any in-state college (including community) adds up real quick per cost of class, not to mention how much more time it'll take. Even though TESU comes along with a few fees, the possibility to transfer in most of your cheap credits completely makes up for it. I honestly don't know where you could get a bachelor's for less. It might even be a good idea to show them some of the other distance-programs such as Liberty U, once they compare tuition rates I'm sure they'll have a quick change of heart.

I can't make degree plans or anything, but I just wanted to let you know that I had to convince my mom as well (even had to reassure her today) and that I understand and support your decision. Just stick with it and it'll work out, anyone with sense can see that is a bargain. Maybe even show them around the forum so they can read about some of the past graduates, as well as review the plans they used. There are quite a few parent-accounts on here who really get involved, and anything that gets someone hands-on will automatically make them more interested in it. 

Also, a little bit of advice for your educational journey. Their primary concern probably isn't the money, even though it appears that way to you. I don't know how old you are, but after reaching my 20s I quickly realized that parents just want to know you're sticking with something, anything. It helps them sleep better. Once they see you plugging away at these courses and racking up the credits, they'll feel so much more comfortable about it. This means you might have to work a little harder in the first couple of months. Every day I find something to tell my parents about the progress I made that day. "Hey mom, just sent in my persuasive essay. Now I'm reviewing the guidelines for my next paper." or "Just finished a quiz, I feel really good about it. I estimate I'll be able to take the next one by Tuesday." ANYTHING that shows them you're good at the self-paced route and not using it to lollygag around. As soon as they see you getting stagnant, they'll get concerned again. 

If you ever just need support or even an accountability partner, shoot me a message and I'll be happy to help. Smile
[-] The following 1 user Likes katelynn's post:
  • davewill

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  Thomas Edison State College Upper level Accounting Credit - HELP! DeterminedStudent 28 5,839 04-19-2018, 07:55 AM
Last Post: Yenisei
  The highest paid graduates by state (Big 3 included) Life Long Learning 3 1,830 04-05-2018, 02:47 PM
Last Post: burbuja0512
  TESU - Study.com Tuition Discount mrshill818 27 7,490 02-26-2018, 12:24 PM
Last Post: dfrecore
  Thomas Edison State University Selects New President jsd 3 2,164 12-20-2017, 12:52 PM
Last Post: davewill
  Transfering to a state university question(what's the best way to do it!) Yung Bukket 1 925 07-03-2017, 01:21 PM
Last Post: CM1999
  Thomas Edison State College associate degree or bachelors? Sdotmeek 11 4,599 02-06-2017, 07:55 PM
Last Post: cookderosa
  Tuition Clarification Needed for TESU riedel63 8 1,504 01-13-2017, 04:53 PM
Last Post: swalke321
  Per Credit Tuition or Comprehensive plan for testing out xdrelx 2 869 12-27-2016, 11:59 AM
Last Post: dfrecore
  Has anyone completed a Psychology degree with Charter oak state college? desireelws50 2 1,509 12-26-2016, 01:54 PM
Last Post: Kjnova
  Charter Oak State College - New Degree in B.S. Business Administration KittenMittens 90 8,016 12-24-2016, 05:18 PM
Last Post: Kjnova