Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Don't want to start a WWIII BUT out of the big 3 which holds most recognition?
publius2k4 Wrote:One major difference between TESC and COSC is the option to choose a major at TESC. While you can elect to concentrate your studies in one area at COSC, your degree will still be, simply, a General Studies degree. At TESC, you can choose a major, and that major will be reflected on both your diploma and your transcripts. For some people, having their major listed is very important, and therefore worth the extra costs.

Sorry, not true. It will say "Bachelor of Arts" and that's it. Majors, concentrations, and areas of focus are all the same thing- and they are all listed on your transcript, not you the degree that you're going to frame.
cooperalex2004 Wrote:My understanding is that the diplomas at TESC don't include any majors or areas of study, rather they simply say Bachelor of Arts or Associate in Applied Sciences. I think the one exception from what I've heard is the BSBA which may say something like Bachelor of Sciences in Business Administration but would still lack the further customization that some do by getting a BSBA in something other than general business.

:iagree:

The BSBAs, from what I understand, are the only ones that list something reasonably specific. Mine just says Bachelor of Science in Business Administration. The specialization is only detailed on the transcript, and only noticeable if looking for it.

All three are regionally accredited, which is the big checkmark to have checked when picking an undergraduate school so you do not limit yourself on employer or graduate requirements years down the line. Short of that, each school has its pros and cons, and each student will need to review their specific needs to determine which one is most appropriate.
BSBA, HR / Organizational Mgmt - Thomas Edison State College, December 2012
- TESC Chapter of Sigma Beta Delta International Honor Society for Business, Management and Administration
- Arnold Fletcher Award

AAS, Environmental, Safety, & Security Technologies - Thomas Edison State College, December 2012
AS, Business Administration - Thomas Edison State College, March 2012
cookderosa Wrote:Sorry, not true. It will say "Bachelor of Arts" and that's it. Majors, concentrations, and areas of focus are all the same thing- and they are all listed on your transcript, not you the degree that you're going to frame.
Whaaaat?!? I thought the diplomas from at least TESC and EC would say what you got your degree in! No?? Sad :mad:
BA History 2014 - TESC

The Lord is my shepherd. Psalm 23

"I'm going on an adventure!' ~AUJ
"It is our fight." ~DoS
"I am not alone." ~BotFA
"All we have to decide is what to do with the time that's given to us." ~FotR
"There is still hope." ~TTT
"Courage..." "This day, we fight!" ~RotK

CLEP: A&I Lit 74 ~ Am Lit 73 ~ Eng Lit 72 ~ Humanities 75 ~ College Math 77 ~ Western Civ I 63 ~ Western Civ II 69 ~ Natural Sci 64 ~ US History I 76 ~ US History II 69 ~ Sociology 68 ~ Am Gov 69 ~ Social Sci & Hist 71 ~ College Comp 61 ~ Marketing 70 ~ Management 66 ~ Psychology 67

DSST: Supervision 453 ~ Tech Writing 61 ~ Computing 427 ~ Middle East 65 ~ Soviet Union 65 ~ Vietnam War 74 ~[COLOR="#0099cc"] Civil War 68

[/COLOR]Other: College+ Biblical Social Justice B ~ ECE World Conflicts Since 1900 A

TESC courses: Capstone A ~ Leaders in History A ~ Photography 101 A- ~ Games People Play A ~ International Relations A- ~ Mass Communications I A

$5 off IC - 59690
My hair jewelry business
Westerner Wrote:Whaaaat?!? I thought the diplomas from at least TESC and EC would say what you got your degree in! No?? Sad :mad:

Sadly that's the truth. The diplomas just have the degree but my transcript at TESC gives the full detail though including the degree type, area of study, and lists my Arnold Fletcher award under that. Then again my community college AA doesn't have anything on the diploma either.
My completed "non-traditional" credits include 27 credits from CLEP, 30 credits from DSST, 6 credits from ALEKS, 19 credits from FEMA courses including PDS, 3 credits from NFA courses, 10 credits from ACE Workplace Training, 3 credits from a TESC TECEP exam, and 3 credits from a TESC PLA course.
Westerner Wrote:Whaaaat?!? I thought the diplomas from at least TESC and EC would say what you got your degree in! No?? Sad :mad:

Yes, it looks like the diploma from EC will include the major:

http://www.degreeforum.net/excelsior-tho...#post92771
AS in 2010 and BS in 2013 at Excelsior College - Transcripts and Costs
MS Biostatistics in 2019 at Texas A&M University - Graduate School

Sharing Credit-by-Exam*
Resources Used - 20+ Exams Passed & General GRE
Practice Tests - Available for CLEP and DSST

* Link posted with permission from forum admin; thank you!
Nice for the EC grads then Smile

cooperalex2004 Wrote:Sadly that's the truth. The diplomas just have the degree but my transcript at TESC gives the full detail though including the degree type, area of study, and lists my Arnold Fletcher award under that. Then again my community college AA doesn't have anything on the diploma either.
Oh well... Thanks for letting me know!
BA History 2014 - TESC

"It is our fight." ~DoS
"I am not alone." ~BotFA

CLEP: A&I Lit 74 ~ Am Lit 73 ~ Eng Lit 72 ~ Humanities 75 ~ College Math 77 ~ Western Civ I 63 ~ Western Civ II 69 ~ Natural Sci 64 ~ US History I 76 ~ US History II 69 ~ Sociology 68 ~ Am Gov 69 ~ Social Sci & Hist 71 ~ College Comp 61 ~ Marketing 70 ~ Management 66 ~ Psychology 67

DSST: Supervision 453 ~ Tech Writing 61 ~ Computing 427 ~ Middle East 65 ~ Soviet Union 65 ~ Vietnam War 74 ~[COLOR="#0099cc"] Civil War 68

[/COLOR]Other: College+ Biblical Social Justice B ~ ECE World Conflicts Since 1900 A

TESC courses: Capstone A ~ Leaders in History A ~ Photography 101 A- ~ Games People Play A ~ International Relations A- ~ Mass Communications I A

$5 off IC - 59690
My hair jewelry business
cookderosa Wrote:Sorry, not true. It will say "Bachelor of Arts" and that's it. Majors, concentrations, and areas of focus are all the same thing- and they are all listed on your transcript, not you the degree that you're going to frame.

My mistake about it being on the diploma at TESC. However, it is true that the only major Charter Oak awards is General Studies. You are, however, required to select a concentration for the degree. Charter Oak's website states the following: "You may earn a Bachelor of Arts or Bachelor of Science degree. Both baccalaureate degrees are in General Studies and require 120 semester credits. In addition to satisfying general education requirements, the Bachelor of Arts degree requires 90 liberal arts credits, while the Bachelor of Science degree requires 60. Bachelor's degree-seeking students must also complete a Concentration in a specific discipline or combination of disciplines."

Their concentrations are not the same thing as majors, but they are similar. Their website also says the following about concentrations: "A concentration is similar to a major, but it offers far more flexibility by allowing you to work with the credits you have already earned to map-out a degree program that meets your career and personal goals"

Charter Oak Degree Completion
Good to know about the Diploma's / Degree's! Thanks for the feedback everyone.
Started Dec 2012 ~ BSBA Human Resource and Org Management TESC

YAY!!!! OCT 24th = DONE!!!!!!

Straighterline Courses: American History I 83%, American History II 79% Accounting I 81%, Accounting II 83%, Macro 77 %, Micro 84%,World Religions 83%, Business Law 74%, Business Ethics 78%, Organizational Behavior 78%, Intro to business 85%, Business Communications 86%
Clep: Principles of management 64, Intro to marketing 53,
DSST: Bus in Society 442 / Principles of Supervison 453 / Money and Banking 55
Penn Foster: HR management 96%, Compensation Management 88%, Emp Benefits 89%, training concepts 96%, Strategic Management 90%, Principles of Finance 82%
ALEKS: Intro To Statistics 72%, Pre-Calc 70%
TESC : Org Theory DONE~ 89%
TEEX Cybersecurity for everyone ~ Business Elective ~ 85%

I'm not terribly sure it matters in the end - unless you are planning on framing your degree and displaying it in an office or other public area someday? Maybe I'm just out-of-touch with current trends, since I've been an out-of-the-workforce, stay-at-home mom for about 18 years now, but in all the job interviews I went to after graduating with my degree in juvenile counseling back in the early 90s, no prospective employer ever asked to see my actual diploma. They were only interested in the transcripts.
jenniferhc Wrote:I'm not terribly sure it matters in the end - unless you are planning on framing your degree and displaying it in an office or other public area someday? Maybe I'm just out-of-touch with current trends, since I've been an out-of-the-workforce, stay-at-home mom for about 18 years now, but in all the job interviews I went to after graduating with my degree in juvenile counseling back in the early 90s, no prospective employer ever asked to see my actual diploma. They were only interested in the transcripts.
Well ok then, that helps Smile (though I am actually planning to frame it to hang on the wall Wink)
BA History 2014 - TESC

"It is our fight." ~DoS
"I am not alone." ~BotFA

$5 off IC - 59690
My hair jewelry business

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  TECEP - do I have to wait until the start of a Term to take the exam? Kelly Green 4 2,026 08-16-2018, 09:04 AM
Last Post: Kelly Green
  Looking for Help with my TESU start Dacowta 1 904 02-07-2018, 06:23 PM
Last Post: dfrecore
  Start of my Journey. oniflednitsua 5 1,310 02-06-2018, 10:47 AM
  Literal First Step? BS@TESU I just need to start find myself procrastinating. David.Hamad 8 2,345 08-17-2017, 01:31 PM
Last Post: Ideas
  Easy TECEPs to start with Al2010x 11 2,946 05-21-2017, 11:50 PM
  TESU: ready to start but I need HELP! ReeseP 13 1,944 01-21-2017, 07:11 PM
Last Post: KayV
  Not sure where to start... pmm 13 1,421 11-19-2016, 12:01 AM
Last Post: jsd
  Overwhelmed! Where should I start? Degreegirl1 12 1,779 10-06-2016, 12:10 AM
Last Post: bjcheung77
  Testing out toward a degree but don't know where to start ray_scanlon 32 2,584 08-17-2016, 04:14 PM
Last Post: Lindagerr
  Start Your Summer with Sophia bjcheung77 0 515 06-07-2016, 12:35 PM
Last Post: bjcheung77